Violence Free Workplace Policy
Revision Date: 8/21/2002
Responsible Office: Human Resources Office
Reference: University of Louisiana System, Policy M-11, Board Rule Chapter 3, Section XIX
RECOGNIZING INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR
Inappropriate behavior is often a warning sign of potential hostility or violence. When left unchecked, it can escalate to higher levels. Employees who exhibit the following behaviors should be reported and disciplined in accordance with the organization’s policies:
- Unwelcome name-calling, obscene language, and other abusive behavior.
- Intimidation through direct or veiled threats.
- Throwing objects in the workplace regardless of the size or type of object being thrown or whether a person is the target of a thrown object.
- Physically touching another employee in an intimidating, malicious, or sexually harassing manner. This includes such acts as hitting, slapping, poking, kicking, pinching, grabbing, and pushing.
- Physically intimidating others including such acts as obscene gestures, “getting in your face,” and fist-shaking.