Board of Supervisors Policy on Employee Furloughs
Effective Date: 6/3/2011
Responsible Office: Office of the President
Reference: Board of Supervisors of the University of Louisiana System, Policy and Procedure Memoranda (FS-lll-XVI.E-1)
The University of Louisiana System Board Rules define financial exigency and provide for furlough, layoff, termination and other staffing reduction parameters in response to such events. Additionally, the Board may initiate separate measures, such as resolutions or other directives, which authorize and empower the campuses to take specific employee actions in the event of severe budgetary constraints, including those that arise from substantial reductions in state appropriations, the occurrence of natural or physical disasters, terrorism or a public health emergency. This policy provides guidelines for the execution of such directives.
The President of the Institution may invoke this policy to require employees to take unpaid furlough days only upon recommendation of the System President and approval of the Board.
A. PARTICIPANT ELIGIBILITY
- The plan will include mandatory furloughs for all employees, except for tenured faculty and contract employees, those fully funded (100%) restricted grant positions, and employees on H-1B or other visas as designated by federal law and those whose salary has otherwise been reduced. Any modification of a written contract or grant must be in writing and approved by the Grantor.
- This does not preclude voluntary participation from any of the above (except those on H-1B or other federal visas).
- Exceptions may be granted for critical categories such as emergency personnel and campus security.
- Employees in the classified service shall be furloughed in accordance with Civil Service Rules (Chapter 17, Section 8).
B. PLAN DEVELOPMENT
- Upon announcement that furloughs are necessary, the President shall consult and discuss with appropriate faculty and staff in the development of a furlough plan.
- The plan shall include identification of the employees to be furloughed and the number of unpaid furlough days that will be required.
- The total number of furlough days may be graduated based on employee compensation levels.
- The plan will not be subject to grievance or appeal at the university or Board level.
- The furlough shall be conducted in a manner that strives to ensure continuation of essential services with minimal interruption to the institution, particularly with respect to the maintenance of class schedules and essential student services.
- The actual date(s) the employee will be required to take the furlough days shall be determined by the employee’s supervisor. The supervisor should consult with the employee to determine the department’s operational needs and the employees’ preference.
- The selection of furlough days will not result in the cancellation of classes nor will any units be shut down due to furloughs without the prior approval of the campus President or the President’s designee.
- No annual or other personal leave may be used on or in lieu of a furlough day or period.
- No overtime or compensatory time may be granted to compensate for the loss of services of furloughed employees.
- Employees cannot be required to work in their areas or perform official duties during a day/period of furlough.
- Non-exempt employees covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act cannot be at work on furlough days.
- Employees may choose to continue paying their retirement contributions based on the level their pay would have been if not for the furlough in accordance with LA.R.S. 11:163.1.