Policy 5105 - Non-Grant Ledgers
Effective Date: 6/20/2014
Responsible Office: Comptroller's Office
ACCOUNTING LEDGER EXPLANATIONS
NON-OPERATING, NON-GRANT (22’s, 32’s, 42’s)
- The account number assigned for the budget unit. The account number may contain a fund number which will identify the source of funds or a special sub-department.
- The income budget is shown in the Current Budget column of the income ledger (21’s, 31’s, 41’s). Each month the budget is adjusted for income recorded that month.
- YTD Actual shows year-to-date income for the account. For non-operating, non- grant accounts (21’s, 31’s, 41’s) the YTD Actual Column will agree with the GTD Actual column.
- The Income Balance at the end of each month for non-operating, non-grant income accounts is normally a zero balance since the budget is adjusted for income on a monthly basis.
- The Monthly Transaction Ledger is a listing of detail transactions of the account. The transaction ledger for income accounts (21’s, 31’s, 41’s) lists detail transactions for the year-to-date. The transactions ledgers for expense accounts list current month transactions only for 22’s and year-to-date transactions for 32’s and 42’s.
- The expense budget is shown in the Current Budget Column of the expense ledger (22’s, 32’s, 42’s). The budget is cumulative. Funds remaining
at the end of the previous fiscal year are added to the year-to-date income to calculate
the current expense budget.
$14,997.25 Fund Balance @ 6/30/13 (25-1234)
+ $11,712.25 Current Income Budget (21-1234)
$26,709.50 Current Expense Budget (22-1234)
- Fiscal year-to-date expenditures are shown under the YTD Actual Column . For non-operating, non-grant expenditure accounts (22’s, 32’s, 42’s) the YTD Actual column will agree with the GTD ( Grant-to-Date) Actual column.
- The Expense Balance is the amount available to spend. The Current Budget less OpenEncumbrances less YTD Actual (or GTD Actual) equals Balance.
- The Fund Balance account (25’s, 35’s, 45’s) represents cumulative unspent funds for prior years.
The amount in the fund balance account is added to the current fiscal year-to-date income to determine the current expense budget for the budget unit.
Non-Grant Ledger Sample (pdf format)
ACCOUNTING LEDGER EXPLANATIONS AGENCY (94’s)
- The Beginning Balance column shows the balance in the account at the end of the of the previous fiscal year.
- Expenditures are shown in the Debit Column.
- Income or deposits to the account are shown in the Credit Column.
- The Balance Column shows the ending balance in the account at the end of each month. A credit balance in a 94 account indicates the amount available to spend. (For example, a balance of $274.52- indicates that the account has a remaining balance to spend of $274.52). A debit balance in a 94 account indicates that the account has been overspent.
- The Monthly Transaction Ledger is a listing of detail transactions of the account. An expenditure is shown in the Debit Column and income is shown in the Credit Column. The transaction ledger for a 94 account lists year-to-date transactions.
Agency Ledger Sample (pdf format)