WWW Posting Date: 1/15/2002
Responsible Office: Student Affairs
The Career Center is a centralized resource and service center specializing in assisting students and alumni of the University in the pursuit of individual career goals. Programs are designed to encourage students to make sound career decisions, set professional goals, obtain career-related work experience, maintain high levels of academic achievement, and develop leadership opportunities in order to enhance their employment marketability. Career Center services focus primarily on assisting students in the cultivation and enhancement of skills to explore career options, master job search techniques and strategies, and research labor market opportunities.
Specific services and resources provided include the following:
- Seminars - Several seminars are offered each quarter to assist students in job search preparation, including skills development in resume writing and interviewing. An orientation seminar provides an overview of Career Center services and resources. A business dining etiquette seminar is also offered.
- On-Campus Interviews - Interviews are scheduled and conducted for seniors and advanced degree candidates for full-time employment. Schedules of companies that are interviewing on campus and registration materials are available in the Center.
- Internships/Summer Employment - Opportunities for participation in internships and summer employment are available.
- Job Opportunities Bank - Full-time, part-time, and summer employment opportunities are posted and distributed to prospective graduates and to alumni who are registered with the Center. Many listings are posted on the Career Center Web site.
- Teacher Recruitment Day - A Recruitment Day is held each Spring for teacher education majors to interview for teaching opportunities with in-state and out-of-state districts.
- Career Day - Each Fall and Spring employers of Tech graduates are invited to participate in a Career Day. Sophomores, juniors, seniors, graduate students, and alumni may explore full-time career opportunities as well as co-op positions and summer internships in their fields of interest.
- Career Library - The Career Library contains directories, books, company literature, reference materials, and videos which may be helpful in career education, career planning, research, and job search activities. Periodicals such as Job Choices, as well as career manuals, are available.
- Tech Alumni Network - Several Louisiana Tech alumni in professional positions are available for informational interviews for prospective graduates who are exploring various career options. Upon request, Career Center staff can arrange informational sessions.
- Individual Appointments - Appointments are available for individual assistance with any phase of career education, career planning, or the job search process.
- Computer Lab - Computers with Internet access are available to students who wish to research employment options on the Web.
- Web Site - The Career Center Web site provides information and Internet links to assist students and alumni who are researching and exploring job opportunities on the Web. (See www.careercenter.latech.edu).