When either a parent or student selects the IRS Data Retrieval option, the FAFSA Central Processing System (CPS) will:
- Conduct a data match with the IRS.
- Redirect you to a secure IRS website.
- You will permit the IRS to transfer income data to the CPS Processor.
- Successfully matched data will be noted on the FAFSA as, “Transferred from the IRS.”
A successful match between CPS and the IRS will:
- Eliminate requesting federal income tax return transcripts, as long as FAFSA data fields are not subsequently changed on your FAFSA.
- Avoids reporting errors and processing delays that can otherwise occur.
Please note that you may still be required to supply other income information as part of general verification process.
You can view detailed instructions for using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) by viewing the IRS Data Retrieval Instructions - Data Retrieval Tool DRT document.