• Apply Now!

FAFSA Online

School Code:  002008


Frequently Asked Questions



Financial Aid Glossary


TOPS Failure to Maintain Eligibility

Students whose awards are suspended for failure to maintain the required GPA or steady academic progress may be reinstated upon attainment of the required GPA, provided that the period of ineligibility did not persist for more than two years and continuous full-time enrollment was maintained.

There is no reinstatement for failure to earn 24 hours per academic year, except in exceptional circumstances.

NOTE: Your TOPS Cum GPA is calculated on all coursework you attempted at all schools, including repeated courses, at the end of each spring semester or quarter based on hours, grades and quality points reported by all schools you have attended, so it may be different from that grade point average calculated by the school you attend.

Exceptions cannot be granted for failure to make Steady Academic Progress or to earn the minimum TOPS Cum GPA.

NOTE: If you are not registered each semester or quarter as a full-time student as of the 15th class day at a semester institution or the 10th class day at a quarter institution. Correspondence courses do not count toward full-time enrollment.

NOTE: Credits from Advanced Placement, CLEP, and Credit by Exam are not included in Academic Year Earned Hours. Correspondence courses are only included in hours earned if completed and credit is given during the Academic Year.

An exception for cause to the requirement to enroll for the first time as a full-time student by the deadline, to enroll full-time each semester or term thereafter, to remain continuously enrolled and/or to earn 24 hours may be granted if, by the deadline specified in the letter notifying you of the cancelation of your award, you submit a Request for Exception form with the required supporting documentation sufficient to justify a failure to comply with these requirements. You can obtain the Request for Exception form with instructions and a list of the required documentation at www.osfa.la.gov, “Forms”, “Scholarship & Grant (TOPS) Forms” and then click “Download” for the “Request for Exception” form or you can call a Public Information Representative at 1-800-259-5626, ext. 1012, or locally at (225) 219-1012, or send an e-mail to custserv@osfa.la.gov. If your Request for Exception form is not received by the deadline, it will NOT be considered.

For a more detailed explanation please refer to TOPS Rights and Responsibilities