The music education program prepares future teachers to become excellent in their field, because we believe every child deserves an excellent music teacher.
We affirm that "music teachers, more than any other occupational group in music, have the professional expertise and the opportunity to equip both future citizens and whole communities for liberating, powerful musical lives."1
The program meets all the requirements for K-12 music certification in the state of Louisiana. Students pursuing this course of study earn a Bachelor of Arts in Music with a concentration in instrumental or vocal education. A Master of Arts in Teaching is available in the College of Education, which allows individuals to add K-12 certifications in instrumental or vocal education to their pedigree. Links can be found below.
1. Gates, J. Terry. "Why Study Music?" Vision 2020: The Housewright Symposium on the Future of Music Education.
On October 27-29, 2013 music education majors traveled to Nashville, TN for the 2013 NAfME National In-Service Conference. The trip was made possible in part because of generous travel scholarships provided by the Department of Music Scholarship Committee. Thanks for the support!
Music Education Course Plans
- Four-Year Plan Instrumental Music Education (FA13-SP17) This document is a work-in-progress. Use it is as a guide only.
- Four-Year Plan Vocal Music Education (FA13-SP17) This document is a work-in-progress. Use it as a guide only.
- Course Rotation Schedule (FA13-SP15)
College of Education Links
- COE Course Rotation List (updated Fall 2014)
- Field Experience Evaluation Survey (Used for observation hours in Methods courses)
- COE Office of Field and Clinical Experiences
Music Education Links
- Louisiana Praxis Test Requirements
- Praxis I Math Practice & Study Guide
- Praxis I Reading Practice & Study Guide
- Praxis I Writing Practice & Study Guide
- Praxis II Test Questions
- Teach Louisiana
- National Association for Music Education
- Louisiana Music Educator's Association
- International Society for Music Education
- Music for the Visually Impaired
Job & Internship Resources