BLUE FIRE: Igniting Communication Experiences (QEP)
BLUE FIRE: Igniting Communication Experiences, Louisiana Tech University’s Quality Enhancement Plan, seeks to improve student communication and interpersonal skills through a robust first-year interdisciplinary experience. The purpose is achieved as students demonstrate seven learning outcomes aligned with three goals and with the Louisiana Tech 2020 Strategic Plan and strategic directions. BLUE FIRE reflects a holistic approach to enhancing Student Learning Outcomes consistent with our vision to be recognized as a top public research university with an unparalleled, integrated educational experience. BLUE FIRE evolved from broad-based input from diverse and numerous Tech constituencies, reviews of student data, identification of issues and concerns, and recent focus on expectations of higher education in the 21st century.
As a result of implementation of BLUE FIRE, our first-year students will…
- Demonstrate reduction of communication apprehension among peers;
- Implement appropriate verbal and nonverbal communication skills through small group interactions;
- List effective listening skills in interpersonal and small group interactions;
- Demonstrate effective collaboration skills while engaging in teambuilding activities;
- Recognize/interpret social, organizational, and multicultural diversity while engaging in university culture;
- Critically evaluate media influences; and
- Analyze ethical elements projected in communication media.
These Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) will be achieved through implementation of several BLUE FIRE components supported by literature and best-practice, and through linking learning and development as related parts of the same process. SLOs will be assessed through both direct and indirect measures.