Collections Index
   
home:: Camp Ruston
Black Line Camp Ruston

About Special Collections
Giving to Special Collections
Regulations
Reproduction Fees
Request Information
Exhibits
Camp Ruston

News
News Archives
Audio/Video Archives

Links
American Foreign Policy
Center
Louisiana Tech Prescott
Memorial Library
LOUISiana Digital Library
Louisiana Tech University
Records Management
Related Links
Sparta Ground Water
Commission Papers

 


Special Collections Staff
4th Floor - Prescott Memorial Library
(318) 257-2935
collections@latech.edu

Peggy Carter - Director
pcarter@latech.edu

Tanya Arant - Library Spec. III
tarant@latech.edu

Joyce Chandler - Library Spec. I
chandler@latech.edu


Camp Ruston

craerialsmallmore shadow

Camp Ruston was one of the largest prisoner of war camps in the United States during World War II, with 4,315 prisoners at its peak in October 1943.


Construction

Camp Ruston was built by the local T.L. James Company on 770 acres about seven miles northwest of Ruston, Louisiana in 1942. The land was purchased for $24,200, and construction cost $2.5 million.

 

 

POW camp

From June 1943 to June 1946, the camp served as one of more than 500 prisoner of war camps in the United States. The first 300 men, from Field Marshall Erwin Rommel’s elite Afrika Korps, arrived in August 1943. In 1944, the captured officers and crew of Unterseeboot 505 were sent to the camp and kept in isolation in a restricted area in order to prevent them from communicating to the enemy that secret German naval codes had fallen into Allied hands.During 1944, French, Austrian, Italian, Czech, Polish, Yugoslav, Romanian, and Russian prisoners were also housed in the camp. During their incarceration in Camp Ruston, the prisoners benefited from food, medical care, and physical surroundings which where better than what their countrymen were experiencing at home. They were permitted to engage in athletic and craft activities and allowed to organize an orchestra, a theater, and a library.Those prisoners who were enlisted men were required to work at the camp and for local farms and businesses. They picked cotton, felled timber, built roads, and performed other tasks to help solve the domestic labor shortage caused by the war. They were paid in scrip which they could use in the camp canteen.In 1944, the War Department began a program to educate prisoners of war throughout the United States in academic subjects and democratic values. One source of books was the library of Louisiana Polytechnic Institute (now Louisiana Tech University). Some prisoners even took correspondence courses from major American universities.Only 34 prisoners escaped and remained free for over 24 hours, and only one was never recaptured. At least nine prisoners died at Camp Ruston. These resulted from previous wounds and illnesses, or, in one case, from an attack by other prisoners.The last prisoners left Camp Ruston in February 1946 for repatriation to native countries. From 1947 to 1958, the site served as a state tuberculosis sanatorium, and it became the Ruston Developmental Center in 1959.

 

 

Camp Ruston Documentation Project

In the 1990s, increased efforts were undertaken to preserve the history of Camp Ruston. In 1992, the camp’s remaining buildings were placed on the National Register of Historic Places, and, in 1994, Louisiana Tech University and the Ruston Developmental Center began the Camp Ruston Documentation Project to collect historical materials concerning Camp Ruston.During 1994-95, several events and activities were held which brought attention to Camp Ruston. These included an archaeological survey of the Camp Ruston site, a symposium, talks to regional historical organizations and to school children, appearances on local television, exhibits, slide presentations, and provision of material for a taped segment on Camp Ruston for the LPB-TV program “Louisiana: The State We’re In.”

 

Links

(Click on the images below)

 

veterans history project
 

LOUIS

The Library of Congress Veterans' History Project

 

Photographs of Camp Ruston

 

 

 

   
book

 

 

 

national archives

Gary Moore's account of his father, Gene Moore

 

United States National Archives and Record Administration

   

 

 

 

uboatnet
 

msi

Comprehensive site about Unterseeboot (U-boat) information

 

 

Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, Illinois. Home of the U-505.

 

 

 

 

 

 

For the required permission to visit the site, please call the

Northeast Supports and Services Center at 318-247-4212.

Their web site is here.

 

 

   

 

     
   

 

 

Search our collections by using the search box

in the upper right of each page

(back to top)

 

 

 

 

 

 

back

 

Black Line
Louisiana Tech University, A Member of the University of Louisiana System © 2005
Department of Special Collections, Manuscripts and Archives | P.O. Box 10408 | Ruston, LA 71272 | 1-318-257-2935

OmniUpdate