||PO Box 3023|
Ruston, LA 71272
Phone: (318) 257-2488
Fax: (318) 257-3927
The Association for Women Students is an organization comprised of undergraduate students at Louisiana Tech University, the purpose of which are to provide leadership opportunities that enhance leadership skills for women, celebrate diversity and multi-culturalism among women students, and promote social, professional and educational networking among women students. Each woman is assessed fifty cents each quarter for a fund which is used to provide programming, services and/or goods which will support the purposes and benefit women students. The Executive Board for AWS, served by two representatives from each academic college and Student Affairs and two members at large, is responsible for dispersing the funds. The Board meets monthly to make these decisions.
Among the projects funded in recent years are:
- safe phone at various locations on campus
- educational brochures on issues relevant to women such as eating disorders and sexually transmitted infections
- microwave ovens and vacuum cleaners for residence halls
- attractive teak benches for outdoor seating
- contributions toward golf carts used to transport students at night
The Board also identifies outstanding students at each academic classification and awards scholarship annually.
Students interested in serving on the AWS Board or needing information about funding projects may call Student Services.