The COMPASS exam is used as a placement tool for students that do not have an ACT score. It is given at the beginning of each quarter to determine the placement of students in Math and English. The COMPASS is a computerized exam and scores are available immediately upon completion of the exam.
$10.00 With valid Tech ID or ID number
$25.00 Without a valid Tech ID number
IF TAKING THE COMPASS EXAM FOR A SCHOOL OTHER THAN LOUISIANA TECH, YOU MUST HAVE A REMOTE COMPASS TESTING CODE FROM THAT PARTICULAR SCHOOL. Louisiana Tech is not responsible if scores are not accepted by other universities.
Scheduling A COMPASS Exam and Testing Policies:
- Tests are given by appointment only by the LaTech Testing Center, Located in 318 Wyly Tower.
- Please follow the appointment link located at the bottom of the page, or call (318)251-4882.
- All payments must be paid in the LaTech Cashiers Office prior to testing Located in Keeny Hall.
- A fee of $10 is accessed to all Louisiana Tech students for each ACT Compass testing session, proof of student ID or ID# provided by Admissions is required.
- A fee of $25 per exam for all other ACT Compass testing sessions.
- Tech students please bring your student ID and proof of payment to your scheduled exam.
- All other testers must bring Photo ID, social security number, proof of payment, and testing code (remote testers only) to your scheduled exam.
- This exam is not timed.
- No outside calculators are permitted.
Study Guides and Sample Questions
The Mathematics Placement
Multiple-choice items in each of the five mathematics placement areas test the following:
- Basic skills – performing a sequence of basic operations
- Application-applying sequences of basic operations to novel settings or in complex ways
- Analysis – demonstrating conceptual understanding of principles and relationships in mathematical operations
Outside calculators are not allowed on the MATH exam.
View a small sample of non-secure test items for:
- Numerical Skills/Pre-algebra
- College Algebra
The Writing Skills Placement
The Writing Skills Placement Test helps institutions determine whether students are ready for entry-level college writing courses or other courses with significant writing loads or whether students require developmental writing instruction prior to entry into those courses. The test asks students to find and correct errors in essays presented on the computer screen. The test items include the following content categories:
- Basic grammar and usage
- Sentence structure
View a small sample of non-secure test items for the Writing Skills Placement Test by clicking on the link below.
Remote Compass Testing
Students not able to test in the Louisiana Tech Testing Center may test in an approved testing center.
Please contact the Testing Center at (318)257-4882 to locate the closest approved testing center and to receive a remote testing code.
Students are responsible for any remote site testing fees.
Outside calculators are not permitted on the Math exam.