• Apply Now!
FAQs - General

Are the residence halls co-ed?
None of the residence halls on Louisiana Tech’s campus are co-ed.  The University Park and Park Place apartments house both male and female students, but only students of the same sex may reside in the same apartment.  

When do the residence halls open?
Typically Fall quarter check-ins begin the Friday before classes begin.  You will be notified of the official check-in dates and times when you receive your assignment letter and/or letter from your coordinator in August. 

What can I expect on opening day?
If assigned to Graham, Pearce or Dudley, you will check-in at Pearce Hall Lobby.  If assigned to Adams, Aswell or Harper, you will check-in at Harper Hall Lobby.  If assigned to Mitchell or Cottingham, you will check in at Mitchell Lobby.  If assigned to an apartment, you will check-in at the Lambright Sports Center classroom.  During this time you will complete all the necessary paperwork and be issued keys for your room.  While checking in, parents may wish to stay with your vehicle and begin unloading.  Once you’ve been issued a key, you can begin moving into your room.  Residential Life staff will be available to assist you and answer any questions.

What type of activities will be available for students during the first few weeks of school?
The move-in period and first week of classes are a special time for all incoming students, staff members, and returning Louisiana Tech students.  Residence hall staff will be planning floor and hall activities so students can become familiar with other residents within their community.  The University sponsors Welcome Week for all incoming students with organized events every day.  The schedule for Welcome Week activities can be found on the First Year Experience website: http://www.latech.edu/fye/welcomeweek.shtml

Who is responsible for a student’s property?
The student.  Although precaution is taken to maintain adequate security, the University cannot assume the responsibility for the loss of or damage to your possessions.  Consult your family’s homeowner insurance policy to potentially add your personal items.  We also encourage you to record all serial numbers for expensive items so that, if something comes up missing, the police will have a better chance of locating the item(s).

Is smoking allowed in the residence halls/apartments?
Louisiana Tech is a tobacco-free and smoke-free campus.  Smoking and the use of all tobacco products, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipe, hookah-smoked products, e-cigarettes, and oral smokeless or spit are prohibited at all times, and at all locations of Louisiana Tech University including University-owned or leased facilities, properties, and grounds.  Smoking is NOT allowed in any campus residence hall or apartment.

What kind of pets can I keep in my room or apartment?
Students may keep fish in a single 10 gallon or smaller tank.  All other animals or pets are not allowed within the residence halls or apartments.

What appliances are allowed in the room?
Appliances should be limited to TV’s, 700 watt microwaves or less, 4.3 cubic feet or smaller refrigerators, radios, stereos, clocks and hair care devices.  Basically, appliances with an open heating element or burner and/or those that may cause ventilation problems are not permitted in students’ rooms.  Be sure to check out our  “Things to Bring Checklist” on our site for more details on what you can and cannot bring to campus.

What about alcohol and drugs in the residence halls or apartments?
Under no circumstance can a student have alcohol or drugs in the residence halls or apartments.

My son/daughter was supposed to call me when they got back to school but I haven’t heard from them!  Can you help?
Please contact the front desk of their residence hall.  Front Desk telephone numbers are listed on our Contact/Student Staff page.  The parent can also call the Residential Life office Monday through Friday 8am-5pm at (318) 257-4917.

How can I apply to be a Resident Assistant (RA)?
Any student wanting to be an RA will need to register for the Counseling 201 class.  You can get more information from any RA, Hall Director, or Coordinator.

How do I apply for an apartment?
The application for Residential Life makes you eligible to move into an apartment at any time during your stay on our campus. There is NOT a separate application for residence halls and apartments.

Are freshmen assigned into the apartments?
Yes. We have designated apartments for athletics, engineering, honors, the College of Business and National Merit scholars. Incoming freshmen can be assigned into these apartments if awarded spaces from these groups. We also have "freshman specific" commons within in our apartment complexes.  Freshmen will be assigned to these apartments based on their initial application date.  Students assigned into these spaces are not guaranteed to live in the same apartment the following year, as these apartments are designated for freshmen only.

We begin accepting applications on October 15th for the upcoming school year, so the sooner a student applies, the better chance he/she has in receiving his/her first choice. Initial application dates are also utilized in our spring reservation process for the upcoming fall quarter to give those who applied earliest for housing preference over others. Assignments of open spaces in the apartments during the academic year are not based on initial application date.  As spaces become available, they are fair game to any student currently living on campus at any time.

How are students assigned to the apartments when a space opens up during the academic year?
First, residents occupying the apartment, where the space is available, are given 24 hours from the time the roommate moves out to request a roommate. If they do not have a roommate request by that time, the space is available to any student who currently lives on campus and wants to move into an apartment. If a student comes by our office inquiring about an apartment and a space is open at that time, the student could choose to move into that available apartment.

How can I get out of my lease once I have checked into my apartment?
In order to get out of your lease, you must complete a lease release application, which can be picked up from the Residential Life office. The committee reviewing the lease release applications usually meets on Mondays. The decision of the committee will be emailed to the student along with directions on how to check out if the lease release was approved or how to appeal the decision further if the lease release was denied. A lease release MUST be approved before a student can apply to live off-campus.