About Louisiana Tech University
formal name is Louisiana Tech University, but, when it was founded in
1894 by Act 68 of the General Assembly, it was called the Industrial Institute
and College of Louisiana. Act 68, which specified that the school be located
in Ruston, provided for the establishment of a "first-class" institution
designed to educate citizens of the state in the arts and sciences and
in "the practical industries of the age". The school was located on 20
acres of land and in a single building, both donated by the city of Ruston.
By September 1895, with its president and faculty of six in residence,
Tech opened its door to 202 students.
The first degree offered by the school was a "Bachelor of Industry." This
degree was granted in fields as broadly diverse as music and telegraphy.
The first student to receive the degree was Harry Howard, Class of 1897.
Mr. Howard was not required to go through a formal graduation program.
After his qualifications were examined, Col. A.T. Prescott, the school's
first president, awarded the degree. The first graduation exercises were
not held until the following year, 1898, when ten degrees were awarded
in a ceremony at the Ruston Opera House.
Since 1894, the institution's name, purpose, and functions have been modified
as the needs of those whom it served have changed. In 1921, the school's
name was changed to Louisiana Polytechnic Institute. The Bachelor of Industry
degree was discontinued, and the degrees standard to American education
were granted. As the college increased in enrollment and offerings, constant
changes were made to meet those additional responsibilities; in 1970,
the school's name was changed to Louisiana Tech University.
Louisiana Tech University is a public institution within the general systems
of higher education operating in the State of Louisiana. Control of its
policies and procedures falls under the aegis of two public bodies, the
State of Louisiana board of Regents and the University of Louisiana System
Board of Supervisors. It is designated as a senior university in the Master
Plan for Higher Education in Louisiana published by the Board of Regents.
As such it offers a comprehensive range of curricula and degree options
at the baccalaureate, master's, and doctoral levels. Its academic offerings
are supported by extensive and well-defined research programs, and are
complemented by a wide range of service and outreach activities which
impact the local, state, regional, national, and international communities.
Enrollment approximates 11,000 students, and the physical plant has grown
to over 130 buildings since 1894. There are approximately 255 acres on
the main campus; a 472 acre demonstration farm, 94 acres of forest land
in Webster parish, and 200 acres of forest land in Winn Parish; 170 acres
in Lincoln Parish; five acres on Lake D'Arbonne; and 43.7 acres two miles
west of the main campus. In addition, Tech leases four acres of farm and
pasture land for the animal production units, and operates facilities
at the Ruston Airport in support of the Professional Aviation program
About the School of Architecture
The State of Louisiana Board of Regents, acting at the request of the
University, voted on April 27, 1995 to restructure the existing School
of Art and Architecture into two distinct entities - the School of Architecture
and the School of Art. This action terminated an administrative relationship
between the architecture and art programs that had existed for twenty-five
years, and created the School of Architecture as a discrete academic and
administrative unit within the general organization of the College of
The School of Architecture at Louisiana Tech University administers two
undergraduate degree programs, the Bachelor of Science in Architectural
Studies and the Bachelor of Interior Design, and a graduate degree program,
the Master of Architecture. These degree programs currently are accredited
for the maximum terms by their respective accreditation agencies: NAAB
Enrollment of the School of Architecture approximates 200 full-time students
with some 150+ students enrolled in the architecture program and the remainder
of the School's student body in the interior design program. The student
body is served by a full-time faculty of 16