LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY SENATE
Volume 22 May 14, 2012 Number 9
1. Call to Order:
The May 14, 2012 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:00 p.m. in the Ropp Center, Room 105, by President David Szymanski.
2. Roll Call: Sandi Richardson
Senators absent from the meeting and without proxy: Kim Barlow, Brad Benson, Alan Chiu, Mark DeCoster, Richard Kordal, and Troy Malstrom.
3. Adoption of Agenda:
A motion to accept the agenda was made by Mary Margaret Livingston and seconded by Tammy Schilling; the agenda was approved without change.
4. Adoption of Minutes: April 2012
A motion to accept the April 2012 minutes was made by Jeff Yule and seconded by Tammy Schilling; the minutes were approved without change.
5. Guest Speaker: Dr. Daniel Reneau, President
- U. S. News and World Report lists Louisiana Tech University as a Tier 1 institution
- 2012 marked the highest ACT scores in the history of freshman classes entering Louisiana Tech
- New Facilities: Business Building, Tech Pointe, and the Intramural Center
- 2012 marked the move to Conference USA
- HB 47 passed and the changed retirement bill is to be phased in one month at a time beginning June 2013
- LSUS-Tech merger
- 4th time this has been proposed
- Current bid shows huge body of support from media as well as state and local politicians.
- The merger proposition needed 70 votes to pass and fell just short of the required number
- Louisiana Tech budget was over $62 million annually when the cuts began and in the five-year period has been reduced to $42 million annually. For the first time in the history of the institution, self-generated funding is larger than state appropriated monies.
6. New Business/Announcements:
- Board of Supervisor's Meeting - David Szymanski
- Faculty Advisory Council - David Szymanski
- Next meeting is June 26, 2012
- Administrative and Planning Council - David Szymanski
- Meeting to be held May 15
- Conference of Louisiana Colleges and Universities - David Szymanski
- Meeting scheduled for September 22, 2012
- Communication Committee - David Szymanski
- Next meeting in June 2012
- Nominees and Voting for 2012-12 University Senate positions:
- Vice President - Heath Tims
- Treasurer - Latoya Pierce
- Parliamentarian - Kim Barlow
- Secretary - Sandi Richardson will return
- President - Larry Jarrell moved from Vice-President into the President's position
- Ex-Officio President - David Szymanski moves from President into the Ex-Officio President position
- It was proposed that the University Senate should investigate:
- Having a University Senate President's Office in Wyly Tower
- Course release time for the University Senate President
7. Treasurer Report: Kathleen Johnston
See April 2012 Treasurer's report.
8. Temporary Committee Results:
- Technology Committee: Larry Jarrell (Liaison)
- Committee is trying to schedule a 9th day roll meeting
- Benefits/Perks Committee: J Bennett (Liaison).
- Campus Committee: Heath Tims (Liaison).
- Policies and Procedures Committee: Marilyn Robinson (Liaison)
9. Unfinished Business:
- University Senate Chair Award
- Voting was conducted, and Dr. Weizhong Dai of College of Engineering and Science was declared the 2012 recipient.
- Virgil Orr Junior Faculty Award
- Voting was conducted, and Dr. Heath Tims of the College of Engineering and Science was declared the 2012 recipient.
11. Adjournment: A motion to adjourn was made by Tammy Schilling and seconded by Julie Holmes. The meeting adjourned at 5:01 p.m.
Sandi Richardson, Recording Secretary