LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY SENATE
Volume 22 December 12, 2012 Number 4
1. Call to Order:
The December 12, 2012 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:00 p.m. in the Ropp Center, Room 105, by President Larry Jarrell.
2. Roll Call: Sandi Richardson
Senators absent from the meeting and without excuse or proxy: Nazir Atassi, Donny Crowe, Selwyn Ellis, Patrick Hindmarsh, Mihaela Paun, Kate Perot, and Colin Wick.
3. Adoption of Agenda:
A motion to accept the agenda was made by Tammy Schilling and seconded by Rhonda Boyd; the agenda was approved without change.
4. Adoption of Minutes: November 2012
A motion to accept the November 2012 minutes was made by Jeff Pike and seconded by Marilyn Robinson; the minutes were approved without change.
5. Special Guest Speakers: Dr. Ron Cathey and Chris Medley from the Counseling Center: "Addictive Substances Education Coalition"
Dr. Cathey solicited faculty to participate in the Addictive Substances Education Coalition which meets once monthly. This is a federally mandated program with both faculty and student participation and can be used as part of a faculty service/research component. Student involvement can be on both graduate and undergraduate levels. If you are interested in participating with this coalition, please contact Chris Medley @ 257-2488 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. Old Business:
- Bicycle Racks (Rhonda Boyd). Bicycle racks have been installed at the Memorial Gym, Woodard Hall, and Robinson Hall. Rhonda will continue to be diligent with follow-up.
- Presidential Search: Heath Tims: Dr. Leslie Guice has accepted the position as Louisiana Tech President and will begin his term on July 1, 2013.
- Traffic and Parking Committee: Heath Tims. Heath was asked to have the subject of "Vehicle Hang Tags" added to the next Committee agenda.
7. New Business:
- November budget report
- Reports from Committees:
- Technology committee: Michael Swanbom, liaison
- The committee needs is assembling a document regarding the status of all requested items and will share at a later date.
- A request was also made from the floor to investigate the current long distance telephone billing system. It seems that there may be repeated billing for long distance calls that were never placed, and there is no avenue to address the issue.
- Benefits committee: J Bennett, liaison
- The committee requested permission to question Joe Thomas regarding the tax structure on mandated 289A classes. There was a call to question and subsequent unanimous vote in support of moving forward with these questions.
- The Tuition Exchange prgram was again discussed. According to research findings, all of our peer institutions do participate in some sort of exchange.
- Policies and Procedures committee: Marilyn Robinson, liaison
- Campus Quality of Life committee: Julie Holmes, liaison
- Report from the Administrative Planning and Council meeting (APC): Larry Jarrell
- Discussion upon the issue of "What to do about minor child on the campus that reflects abuse..."
- It is proper to call 4018 and report instances.
- A caution to faculty -- cannot leave minor children unattended in a classroom if you are not present.
9. Voluntary Remarks:
10. Adjournment: A motion to adjourn was made by Tammy Schilling and seconded by Rhonda Boyd; the meeting adjourned at 5:38 p.m.
Sandi Richardson, Recording Secretary