LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY SENATE
Volume 22 May 13, 2013 Number 9
1. Call to Order:
The May 13, 2013 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:00 p.m. in the Ropp Center, Room 105, by President Larry Jarrell.
2. Roll Call: Marilyn Robinson called the roll in the absence of Sandi Richardson
Senators absent from the meeting and without excuse or proxy: Selwyn Ellis, Jeff Yule, Dexter Cahoy, Dentcho Genov, Jean Gourd, Mihaela Paun, Kim Barlow, Donny Crowe, Kate Perot, Sarah Vance, Nazir Atassi, and Jessica Schrom.
3. Adoption of Agenda:
A motion to accept the agenda was made by Tammy Schilling and seconded by Rita Franks; the agenda was approved without change.
4. Adoption of Minutes: April 2013
A motion to accept the March 2013 minutes was made by J. Bennett and seconded by Rhonda Boyd; the minutes were approved without change.
5. Special Guest Speakers: (1.) Daniel D. Reneau and (2.) Lauren Martin
(1) Dr. Daniel D. Reneau, President of Louisiana Tech University shared a few thoughts in his last meeting with the Senate as President of Louisiana Tech University. Some of his most precious memories will be of the people, the commitment by faculty/staff to the students, and the pride and ambition shown by all those associated with Tech to move the university forward. He shared several "tipping" points that had a major impact on getting the university to where it is today with one of the major decisions being going to selective admissions when everyone told him that it would be a mistake.
(2) Lauren Martin, Barnes & Noble, provided information on the new B&N website features: it will be a resource for researching pricing, rentals, textbooks used by other universities, and it will maintain historical records for three years to assist faculty in what has been done in the past.
6. Old Business:
- Tuition Exchange: Dr. Patrick O’Neal gave a brief report that University administration is on board and expects it to be implemented Fall 2013. The committee is still working with administration on finalizing payment of $500/year cost and development of policies. No action is required at this time.
Senate approved a motion by Tammy Schilling, seconded by Michael Swanbom, “If the University does not pay the $500 initial fee to join the Tuition Exchange, University Senate agrees to pay the initial fee.”
7. New Business:
- April budget report discussed: LaToya Pierce
A motion to accept the budget was made by Tammy Schilling and seconded by Saul Zalesch.
- Reports from Committees:
- Technology committee: Michael Swanbom, liaison
- Benefits committee: J Bennett, liaison, Patrick O'Neal, Chairman
- Marilyn Robinson submitted a Summary of the research completed on the Parking Hangtag vs Decal and it will be available to the Senate on the website as part of the official minutes.
- Policies and Procedures committee: Marilyn Robinson, liaison
- Campus Quality of Life committee: Julie Holmes, liaison
- Julie Holmes requested Senate begin thinking about speakers/topics for next year. The committee will begin working next Fall and needs Senate input.
- Introduction of 2013-2014 officers.
- President: Heath Tims
- Vice President: Michael Swanbom
- Treasurer: Kim Theodos
- Parliamentarian: Julie Rutledge
- Larry Jarrell read the resolution to be presented to President Reneau at the retirement reception; Motion to approve was made by J. Bennett and seconded by Tammy Schilling.
- Heath Tims presented plaque for service to Larry Jarrell as outgoing president.
- Larry Jarrell announced that three bronze statues [President Ralph L. Ropp (1949-1962), President F. Jay Taylor (1962-1987) and President Daniel D. Reneau (1987-2013)], were to be dedicated on Thursday, May 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm in Spirit Park.
9. Voluntary Remarks:
10. Adjournment: A motion to adjourn was made by J. Bennett and Tammy Schilling; the meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
Marilyn Robinson serving as Recording Secretary for Sandi Richardson