LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY SENATE
Volume 23 February 17, 2014 Number 6
1. Call to Order:
The February 17, 2014 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:04 p.m. in the Ropp Center, Room 105, by President Heath Tims.
2. Roll Call: Heath Tims (for Sandi Richardson)
Senators absent from the meeting and without excuse or proxy: Nazir Atassi, Courtney Hilton, Patrick Hindmarsh, and Mihaula Paun.
3. Adoption of Agenda:
A motion to accept the agenda was made by Marilyn Robinson and seconded by Kathleen Heiden; the agenda was approved without change.
4. Adoption of Minutes: January 2014
A motion to accept the January 2014 minutes was made by Jeff Pike and seconded by Sanjay Tewari; Kathleen Heiden noted a misspelling of her name. The minutes were approved with the one small spelling change.
5. New Business/Announcements:
- A Message from Dean of Enrollment Management for Louisiana Tech University, Mrs. Pamela Ford
- Dr. Ford provided an update on the changes to the administration of the LA Tech scholarships.
- Merit based scholarships issued by the La Tech Admissions office will now be available for qualified students to use over 12 quarters rather than 4 years. This will allow students to use their academic scholarships during the Summer quarters if they chose to do so. Changes reflect the University’s strategy to increase Summer enrollment.
- Students must complete 2013-14 University Scholarship/TOPS Summer Payment Request form available on Financial Aid website. Students must also register for a minimum of 6 semester credit hours in order to use their scholarship.
- Information will be provided to students via E-Blast, Financial Aid Website, as well as distribution of information on campus.
- Guests from Financial Aid also visited with Senators regarding TOPS eligibility. Guidelines for Summer TOPS eligibility can be found on the 2013-2014 University Scholarship/TOPS Summer Payment Request form found on the Financial Aid website after April 1.
- F. J. Taylor Undergraduate Teaching Award Committee:
- The following individuals were named to the committee with Rhonda Boyd as the Chair:
- Son Le
- Dewanna Blake
- Rhonda Boyd - Chair
- Dexter Cahoy
- Jesse Davis
- Nichole Duet
- Pasquale DePaola
6. Old Business
- Treasurer's Report: Kim Theodos - no report
- University Senate Spring Forum: Dr. Julie Holmes
- Title will be: "The Future of Ruston: "Recruiting Excellence"
- Date is Thursday, April 3, 2014; 5:30 - 7:00 pm; University Hall
- Possible speakers: Dr. Guice, Dr. Jim King, and representatives from the City of Ruston
- Heath Tims asked Senators to spread the word about the Forum and encourage attendance
7. Additional Remarks:
- Sasaki Associates (Campus Master Planners) presentation was postponed due to winter weather. Has been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 11 at 11 am. Location TBA. Heath will email Senators with location and encouraged attendance.
- Tobacco/Smoke Free Campus Policy- Heath Tims presented a proposed change to current La Tech policy. Current policy does not prohibit use of tobacco on campus. In order to align our policy with State of La policies, Dr. Guice has drafted a Tobacco Free Campus policy thereby prohibiting use of any tobacco product on the campus of La Tech. The draft policy was provided to Senators. Discussion surrounded questions of enforcement as well as prohibiting all tobacco versus only smoking. Heath asked Senators to take information back to their departments/units/areas and gather feedback, questions etc. Please provide feedback to Heath and he will pass on to Dr. Guice.
8. Voluntary Remarks:
8. Adjournment: A motion to adjourn was made by Selwyn Ellis and seconded by Kim Theodos. The meeting adjourned at 4:40 p.m.
Kim Theodus acting for Sandi Richardson as Recording Secretary