LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY SENATE
Volume 23 January 27, 2014 Number 5
1. Call to Order:
The January 27, 2014 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:01 p.m. in the Ropp Center, Room 105, by President Heath Tims.
2. Roll Call: Sandi Richardson
Senators absent from the meeting and without excuse or proxy: Nazir Atassi, Selwyn Ellis, and Mihaela Paun.
3. Adoption of Agenda:
A motion to accept the agenda was made by Marilyn Robinson and seconded by Julie Holmes; the agenda was approved without change.
4. Adoption of Minutes: December 2013
A motion to accept the December 2013 minutes was made by Michael Swanbom and seconded by Jeff Pike; the minutes were approved without change.
5. New Business/Announcements:
- A Message from Dean, Sheryl S. Shoemaker
- Dr. Shoemaker gave an informative talk about the campus re-accreditation effort.
- Accreditation is critical to continuation of the University
- SACSCOC has very stringent documentation requirement, and it takes a comprehensive campus-wide effort to ensure success.
- The compliance deadline is 9/10/14, the off-site peer review is scheduled for 11/14, the on-site visit is 3/2015, and the team votes on findings 12/2015.
- Since insufficient evidence of compliance is one chief cause of accreditation issues, faculty are strongly encouraged to quickly comply with the numerous documentation requests.
- ALFS meeting - Saturday, February 8
- Drs. Tims and Swanbom will be unavailable to attend this meeting. Any interested senators is encouraged to attend the Alexandria meeting in their stead.
- APC meeting report (January 2014 meeting)
- Higher Education Funding: there is a positive report for spring as Gov. Jindal has given his endorsement to not cutting funding to higher education. The largest boon is the recommendation that Universities be permitted to keep the monies gained through tuition increases. These are wonderful recommendations; however, all such measures must be approved by the upcoming legislative session if they are to become binding.
- My Campus Survey (deadline January 31): The My Campus Survey is a tool being used by an outside marketing group tasked to develop a new Master Plan for Louisiana Tech University. All faculty are encouraged to complete the survey immediately.
- Scholarship changes: Previously, scholarships have been awarded over a period of 12 quarters (three times per year over four years). The revised structure will allow the 12 quarter award to be used over the summer session as well.
- FJ Taylor Undergraduate Teaching Award Nominations. The following 12 persons were nominated for the 2014 award:
- Danny Eddy
- Katy Evans
- Steve Hearn
- Kathlein Heiden
- Kevin Merritt
- Stanley McCaa
- Ray McKinney
- Steele Moegle
- Bill Patterson
- John Shaw
- Genero Smith
- Michael Swanbom
6. Old Business
- Treasurer's Report: Kim Theodos
- CD through CTB $23,211.80
- Balance in Checking Account $6,483.67
- Total University Senate Funds $29,695.47
- University Senate Spring Forum will be chaired by Dr. Julie Holmes
- Possible 2014 title: "Recruiting High Quality Students and Faculty"
- Volunteers to serve on the committee: Andy Kline, Lisa Merritt, and Jamie Hancock
7. Voluntary Remarks:
Andy Kline spoke about the Louisiana Tech domestic, undergraduate recruiting effort. So far, numbers are up in every tracked category; these results are encouraging.
8. Adjournment: A motion to adjourn was made by Jean Gourd and seconded by Julie Holmes. The meeting adjourned at 4:56 p.m.
Sandi Richardson, Recording Secretary