LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY SENATE
Volume 23 September 16, 2013 Number 1
1. Call to Order:
The September 16, 2013 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:00 p.m. in the Ropp Center, Room 105, by President Heath Tims.
2. Roll Call: Sandi Richardson
Senators absent from the meeting and without excuse or proxy: Jean Gourd, Dave Merchant, Mihaela Paun, and Markus Wobisch.
3. Adoption of Agenda:
A motion to accept the agenda was made by Selwyn Ellis and seconded by Julie Holmes; the agenda was approved without change.
4. Adoption of Minutes: May 2013
A motion to accept the May 2013 minutes was made by Jim Cochran and seconded by Rhonda Boyd; the minutes were approved without change.
5. New Business/Announcements:
- Introduction of new Senate members and recognition of Executive Committee members
- University Senate atmosphere
- It is hoped that the University Senate increase their action to have a greater impact toward real change for the University
- Purpose and Attendance
- Robert's Rules of Order by Julie Rutledge, Parliamentarian
- Report on Faculty Advisory Council Meeting tabled until October 2013
- Report on Administrative and Planning Council Meeting tabled until October 2013
- Faculty Advisory Council representative is Heath Tims and alternate is Michael Swanbom
- Popular opinion supported having guest speakers periodically or when pressing changes warrant.
- Survey data was requested by Heath Tims and is to be sent to him prior to October 14 meeting.
6. Old Business
- Standing committees discussed; necessity of existing committees to be discussed at later date
- Tuition Exchange Program: Pat O'Neal
- Program allows students from member institutions to exchange educational opportunity with minimal cost. May be implemented in fall of 2014-15 (is an undergraduate scholarship program).
- Parking: Using the 3-day rule was explained
- Proposition made to send a thank-you letter to Dr. Guice for granting free parking for the 2013-14 academic year.
- Heath Tims made a plea to senators for their input regarding issues to target this academic year.
9. Voluntary Remarks:
10. Adjournment: A motion to adjourn was made by Rhonda Boyd and seconded by Julie Rutledge. The meeting adjourned at 4:44 p.m.
Sandi Richardson, Recording Secretary