LIFE ON CAMPUS
As the Department of Residential Life continues to respond to COVID-19, we know you have questions. We have collected some of those reoccurring questions and have answered them as best we can at this time. We will continue to provide updates and communicate with our residents via your Tech email as often as necessary.
What is Residential Life doing to prevent the spread of illness on campus in the residential communities?
Our Residential Life custodial staff cleans specifically as directed by the Center for Disease Control. While we normally do not clean communal areas on Saturdays and Sundays, our staff has begun doing so in an effort to have the “high touch” areas cleaned daily. All doorknobs, light switches, communal areas, laundry facilities, etc are receiving special attention per CDC guidelines. We are encouraging social distancing, proper hand washing and limiting the number of students who may gather.
Signs are placed at each of our community spaces within our residential facilities that state the maximum occupancy of the space in which to observe social distancing. We ask that residents not move furniture in those spaces, as they are arranged to encouraged safe distancing. Residents are required to wear masks at any location outside of their room/apartment. Visitation is restricted to only Louisiana Tech students and residents only allowed one guest at a time. Residents in our communal bath locations are assigned a shower stall to utilize to limit a resident’s potential exposure. Spray cleaner is available in each of our community shower locations for our residents to use. They are encouraged to spray their shower prior to and after usage.
Prior to the usual overall cleaning, each room is sprayed with Quatri-cide, a phosphate-free germ killer that has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to COVID-19; it cleans, disinfects and deodorizes. Our staff is required to wear masks and has been a part of training sessions held by the University’s Department of Environmental Services to ensure we are providing a safe and clean environment for our residents. The health and safety of our residents and staff remains to be the top priority of our daily decisions and long term plans.
What changes will my student notice while living on campus?
Currently, the following updates to policies and procedures will be in place beginning in the Fall.
- Residents may only have visitors in residential facilities that are other Louisiana Tech students. We ask that a resident only have one guest in their residential location at a time.
- We will also limit the number of students who may occupy a lounge, laundry room, kitchen, etc. at a time. This has been calculated by looking at the square feet of the area and the capacity determined by ensuring each person has 6-10 ft of social distancing space. The capacity limits will be posted in each location and will be enforced by our residential life staff.
- A hand sanitizing station will be located at the main entrance of each suite and residence hall.
- Our staff – student, full-time and custodial/maintenance – will wear masks and practice hand washing regularly while interacting with our residents.
- Our programming model may look different as we strive to provide opportunities to create campus communities while maintaining a safe environment.
- All visitors and residents are strongly encouraged to wear masks when outside of their rooms.
Please note that we are continuing to assess how best to accommodate the needs of our residents while also following guidelines per CDC for maintaining a safe and healthy campus. The above are current planned responses to COVID-19 prevention. However, as the virus and governmental directives change or update, we will modify these responses.