CIT Frequently Asked Questions

Where is CIT located?
The Center for Instructional Technology is located in office suite 1013-1014 of the Prescott Memorial Library, which is located on the east side of Wyly Tower.  Take the library lobby elevators to the 10th floor and exit into the Student Technology Lab.  Proceed down the hallway to the right of the elevators to the entrance for the Center for Instructional Technology (CIT).
When is the CIT open?
Our normal hours of operation are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 am to 5:00 pm.  However, our closing time is subject to change quarterly depending on the end time for classes delivered via compressed video in our facility.  The hours of operation on Friday are 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, except during quarter breaks. Contact CIT for the hours of operation during the Summer Quarter or quarter breaks. CIT is not open on weekends.
Does CIT take requests for workshop offerings?
We welcome ideas for future workshops and are receptive to training topics that will enable  faculty to better utilize instructional technologies.
Can I direct a technology workshop for other Tech faculty members?
We encourage faculty to conduct workshops for other instructors, especially when they can introduce their peers to new instructional technologies or new ways to use existing instructional technology. Instructional technology programs are strengthened by faculty members leading peer training. CIT will be glad to assist in the scheduling, preparation and support of such workshops. Contact CIT at 257-2912 or via email (CITadmin@latech.edu) with any ideas you have for a peer lead training workshop.
How can I get started using the Moodle Course/Learning Management System?
CIT staff are available to help you get started. Contact CIT at 257-2912 or via email (CITadmin@latech.edu) and request that your courses be added to Moodle. CIT will set up your course(s) and assist you in learning how to use the course management system. Faculty self-training modules are available online at the CIT website.  Individual or group training in Moodle can be scheduled by contacting CIT.
Does the CIT loan out equipment such as digital cameras, digital video cameras or laptops for faculty use?
CIT equipment is limited and used exclusively for training sessions.  Faculty are welcome to visit CIT and use available equipment. CIT has a small multimedia lab that includes editing and content development tools that faculty can use in lieu of borrowing some equipment.
Does CIT have multimedia equipment for editing and developing course contents?
CIT has a small multimedia studio designed specifically for use by faculty.  The studio has digital, editing and content development hardware/software for use by both PC and MAC users.  Faculty, adjunct and teaching assistants are encouraged to use the multimedia tools available in the studio and no charge.
May I call on the CIT when I have technical problems with my computer?
CIT is responsible for assisting faculty to utilize classroom-based technologies. Network and software-related problems should be directed to the Computing Center Helpdesk (257-5300).  Hardware-related problems should be reported to Technical Services Department (257-3097). Upon calling CIT with any technology-related problem, you will be directed to  the one of the above appropriate departments for assistance.
How can I offer a course via compressed video?
Faculty interested in offering a course for compressed video delivery should investigate similar course offerings in his/her discipline and by other institutions. Not all course content is conducive or suited for electronic delivery.  A majority of curricula can be converted to electronic delivery using the appropriate resources of technology and time. The department chair and college dean should be consulted before faculty proceed with course development. CIT staff can provide faculty assistance with contacts and resources, as well as basic recommendations concerning course development.
Can any currently existing course be considered for electronic delivery?
Not all course contents and disciplines can be readily converted into an electronic format. As with all courses offered at the University, all undergraduate and graduate courses must be approved by the Instructional Policies Committee (IPC) or Graduate Council.