Policy 4205 – Personal Security
Revision Date: 11/1/2011
Responsible Office: Environmental Health And Safety
At Louisiana Tech University, the security of your personal items and your own safety is the responsibility of both the Louisiana Tech Police Department and you.
The Louisiana Tech University Police Department (LTPD) provides the following safety tips for you while you are at work, at home, or traveling.
If you observe or hear someone breaking into your office, room, or residence, call the police immediately at x4018. Try to remain calm and be sure you provide the address clearly.
If someone has stolen something from your office or residence hall, call LTPD at x4018 to report this theft. Also, report this incident to your supervisor for follow up. Supervisors must report any stolen items that are State property to the Office of Finance and Administration.
When answering the telephone, know to whom you are talking.
- Do not give out information to callers who say that they have dialed a wrong number.
- If you are in doubt about a caller, try to get his/her name and telephone number. Then hang up and call that number to confirm the person’s identity.
- Never tell a caller that you are alone.
- If you receive harassing or obscene telephone calls, hang up at once. It the calls continue, notify the police and the telephone company.
When you are walking, follow these suggestions.
- Walk in well-lighted areas.
- Choose the safest route.
- Walk facing traffic.
- Keep your keys in your hand.
- Keep money separate from your wallet or purse.
- Know your surroundings.
- Walk with another person whenever possible.
- If you are followed, cross the street and walk in the opposite direction. Then go where there are other people (e.g., a well-lighted store).
- If someone in an automobile follows you, turn around and walk in the opposite direction. Use your cell phone or one of the Emergency Call Boxes that are strategically place throughout campus to call the Police at ex 4018.
- Do not accept a ride with a stranger.
When you are at work, follow these suggestions.
- Do not leave personal items unattended.
- Mark your personal items (e.g., your books, etc.) with your name.
- Put your wallet or purse out of sight and lock it up.
- Do not leave your money unsecured.
- Be sure to lock your desk and office door when you leave, even if you are going to be away “just for a minute.”
- You know your work environment. If you see a suspicious person or if something seems out of place, call the Police at x4018.
When driving a car, follow these suggestions.
- Keep doors locked and windows rolled up.
- Lock the car when you park it.
- Lock valuables in the trunk.
- Park in a well-lighted area.
- If you leave your car in an attended lot or garage, leave only the ignition key.
- Do not pick up hitchhiker
If you are assaulted, follow these suggestions.
- Do not panic, but…
- Scream or otherwise sound an alarm.
- Try to break away. Run toward people and lights.
- Try to remember what the assailant looks like.
- Once free, use a cell phone or Emergency Call Box to the Police immediately at 257-4018
to report this.