Linda Odom honored with Louisiana career civil service award

Feb 10, 2010 | General News

Linda Odom, administrative coordinator and testing associate in Louisiana Tech University’s Counseling and Career Services Center, has been awarded the Charles E. Dunbar Career Service Award by the Louisiana Civil Service League.

Out of over 90,000 civil service employees in Louisiana, Odom was one of only 13 to receive this recognition. The award was presented at the Louisiana Civil Service League’s annual awards luncheon in New Orleans.

Linda Odom“I am so thankful to the Louisiana Civil Service League for honoring me with the Charles E. Dunbar Award,” Odom said. “I am especially humbled when I consider the incredible people with whom I work each day.”

“Louisiana Tech’s civil servants take a tremendous amount of pride in what they do, and I sincerely feel that many are just as deserving of this award.”

The Charles E. Dunbar Career Service Awards are given annually to employees in a classified merit system who have distinguished themselves by outstanding service.

Odom has worked in Louisiana Tech’s Counseling and Career Services Center for the past 25 years, delivering national standardized testing services, academic credit/entrance/exit exams for most disciplines offered on campus, and psychological assessments assigned by counselors.

According to her colleagues, Odom selflessness and servant heart are reflected in the contributions she has made to the campus community.

“In her role, Linda has overseen thousands of tests and assessments, thereby assisting students in achieving their academic goals,” said Dr. Linda Griffin, dean of student development at Tech. “More importantly, she does so with a rare passion and commitment to the student and the University.”

“She has demonstrated in countless ways her generous spirit toward students seeking her services and student assistants whom she supervises.”

Throughout her career, Odom has overseen over 62,000 national standardized tests and 10,000 academic credit/entrance/exit examinations. She maintains an outstanding testing environment and faithfully protects the integrity of tests.

“Our Tech students are bright, goal oriented, enthusiastic and without a doubt the most enjoyable aspect of my job,” Odom said. “I am truly blessed to work for them and to be a part of the Louisiana Tech family.”

Written by Dave Guerin