Hamrick displays work across country

Aug 9, 2011 | General News, Liberal Arts

Louisiana Tech’s coordinator of photography has recently had his work displayed in a New York book fair and at an exhibition in Oregon.
Three of Frank Hamrick’s books, “Harvest,” “Chasing the Sun,” and “Found Objects,” were included in the Camera Club of New York’s annual Zine and Self-Published Book Fair.
“It is good to have my work in a New York show, but it is always nice to have my work shown to a new group of people,” Hamrick said. “Right now my latest artist’s book, ‘Harvest,’ is in an exhibition in Portland, Ore., and that show means just as much to me as the one in New York.
“Harvest” is Hamrick’s latest book, which consists of short stories and photographs. Plants from a garden are used as metaphors for different stages of life, he said. “Chasing the Sun” was created in 2010 and consists of paper stained with hot tea to suggest the southwestern horizons Hamrick saw while attending graduate school at New Mexico State University. Lastly, he worked on “Found Objects” from 2005 to 2009, and the work consists of letterpress images from old newspaper advertisements put together in a new context to evaluate their meanings.
More information about Hamrick can be found at www.frankhamrick.com.