Union Board, First-Year Experience program host acclaimed editor

Sep 19, 2011 | General News

Dan Gediman, nationally acclaimed editor and executive director of This I Believe, Inc., will visit the campus of Louisiana Tech University, September 26-27, to share stories of hope and inspiration with Tech’s students, faculty, and staff.
Gediman will speak to Louisiana Tech’s faculty and staff on September 26 at 4:00 p.m. in University Hall.  Students will have an opportunity to hear Gediman on September 27 at 10:00 a.m. in Louisiana Tech’s Student Center.  The events are sponsored by Louisiana Tech’s Union Board in conjunction with the First-Year Experience and Common Read programs, and Louisiana Tech’s Department of Journalism.

Dan Gediman - "This I Believe II"

Gediman is a dynamic and engaging speaker who shares his experiences through the thousands of essays he has collected and co-edited as part of his This I Believe book series.  The books seek to engage people in writing and sharing essays describing the core values that guide their daily lives.
“As a part of common read for the First-Year Experience, we are excited to be able to have Mr. Gediman on our campus to share his experiences with our students, faculty, and staff,” said Stacy Gilbert, director of co-curricular programs and disability services at Louisiana Tech.  “We have dreamed of doing this since the common read project began five years ago, and this year the Union Board made that dream a reality.”
Gediman is the co-editor of the New York Times bestseller This I Believe, as well as This I Believe II, This I Believe: On Love, and This I Believe: On Fatherhood.  The essays and statements of belief that comprise the This I Believe series have been featured on public radio since 2005.
“The University experience provides an opportunity for growth, reflection, and clarification for the individual,” said Dr. Linda Griffin, dean of student development at Tech.  “It is our hope that Dan Gediman can inspire our students to do the deep thinking required to form a personal philosophy and, subsequently, find a voice for expression.”
In addition to the presentations by Gediman, Louisiana Tech will conduct a student essay contest based on the themes found throughout the This I Believe series.  The essays will be reviewed by a panel of judges with the three best selected for awards and public presentation at the beginning of November.
The This I Believe essay collection of more than 100,000 statements of belief can be found at www.thisibelieve.org.