School of Art, A.E. Phillips collaboration yields results

Feb 17, 2012 | General News, Liberal Arts

Roots have taken form, and A.E. Phillips Laboratory School and Louisiana Tech’s School of Art’s collaboration project to bring together students from the two schools is complete.
Jes Schrom, an assistant professor of photography, and Maggie Boudreaux, an A.E.P. teacher, along with their students, created a work of art that is viewable on Mayfield Street. Trees, vines and a landscape were created on the A.E.P. side, and the students also created a tree beside the School of Art.
aep project

Students from Tech and A.E. Phillips wrote what they wanted to be when they grew up on the leaves. Answers ranged from an NFL player to an artist to “in control” to a singer.

The Tech and A.E.P. students wrote what they want to be when they grow up on the leaves.
Noah Ruff, an 11-year-old A.E.P. student, said he wrote that he wanted to be an architect or an art teacher.
“I like art and buildings,” Ruff said. “I think this sort of taught me what the life of an artist is like. You have to go with the flow, and if a mistake happens, you can fix it.”
Thirteen-year-old Skyelar Scott said she enjoyed the project, but she worked hard.
“We had to cut out the leaves,” Scott said. “We aimed for 500 to 600, and I think we got about that.”
Diana Synatzske, a 3-D studio graduate student, came up with the theme of having vines and leaves as part of the project.
“I think it turned out great,” Synatzske said. “I’m proud of all the work we’ve done, and it’s nice to see it finished. It looks like I had envisioned.”
Boudreaux and Schrom said they both enjoyed the collaboration aspect of the project, from collaborating between the two schools to the group work among their own students.
“Seeing my students take responsibility and take charge of the project was the best for me,” Schrom said. “The students worked well together. Everyone worked every day, and some stepped up in leadership.”
Jonathan Donehoo, director of the School of Art, said this was an opportunity for the A.E.P. students to learn that art has meaning.
“It’s a wonderful opportunity to help our younger students see what art is about,” Donehoo said. “It’s an opportunity for our college and A.E. Phillips students to learn from each other.”