Transfer orientation offers students fresh perspective on new college

Jul 17, 2012 | General News

Orientation was the first time nursing student Katie Weaver stepped foot on her new college campus.
Weaver, a transfer student from Northwestern State in Natchitoches, enrolled at Louisiana Tech without ever seeing the Lady of the Mist, walking through Centennial Plaza or stepping a toe in the Intramural Center.
“This is a lot bigger than where I was going to school,” said Weaver, who plans to commute from her hometown of Castor. “It’s going to take time to get to used to.”
Weaver attended one of Tech’s two transfer orientations in order to familiarize herself with her new university.
“I’m excited about going back to college,” Weaver said. “I’m not familiar with anything, and I wanted to know at least one building.”
Andy Cline, director of orientation, said about 200 transfer students signed up to attend one of the two summer orientation sessions Tech offers. Last year, 423 transfer students were admitted to Tech, which was a 12.8 increase from 2010.
“We have transfer orientation to give the students an understanding of what to expect at Louisiana Tech,” Cline said. “It’s basically the same concept with a three-day freshmen session, but it’s condensed into one day.”
Cline added that some of the aspects of the three-day freshmen orientation session were not relevant to transfer students who already had some college experience.
“We’re trying to show the students how to register for classes, how to pay for classes, and learn about the campus,” he said.
Both Joe Rossi, a biology major from Shreveport, and Charles Richardson, a business major from Bossier City, said they came to orientation for those reasons.
“I wanted to get everything squared away,” said Rossi, who transferred from Shelton State Junior College in Alabama.
Richardson and Rossi also said they both look forward to their upcoming new college experiences.
“I want to check out campus and see where my classes will be,” Richardson said. “I’m excited about hanging out and going to football games.”
Hayden Marsh, of Allen, Texas, said he transferred to Tech from Texas A&M- Commerce because of Tech’s engineering program.
“It’s a better engineering program,” he said. “I like the size. There are more students and more student life activities.”
He said his biggest concern, though, was the quarter schedule.
“The quarter schedule means the classes go by faster,” he said. “And advising – I want to make sure I get that right.”