Cedar Creek alumnus to speak at Marbury lecture series

Sep 6, 2012 | Business

A Cedar Creek School alumnus Rohan S. Rangaraj will present the 7th annual Marbury Lecture on Tuesday, September 18 at 7 p.m. in Davis Auditorium in the College of Business building at Louisiana Tech.
The lecture, open to Tech students and the public, is part of the annual William Ardis Marbury, Jr. and Virginia Lomax Marbury Lecture Series hosted by the College of Business and Cedar Creek School.
Rangaraj is director of research and co-porfolio manager for Sirius Advisors LLC in Manhattan Beach, Calif.  Prior to joining Sirius, he spent four years working directly under the chief investment officer at Bill Gates’ personal investment advisory firm Cascade Investment LLC.
Prior to his evening lecture, Rangaraj will speak at Cedar Creek School at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, September 18 to Cedar Creek High School students, Future Business Leaders Club members and faculty members of the Lincoln Parish schools.
“While I have lived outside Louisiana since I graduated high school, I have always cherished my years growing up there and attending Cedar Creek School, and I am honored the Marbury Companies have asked me to deliver this year’s lecture,” he said.  “I enjoy every opportunity to return home, and I look forward to interacting with the students and hope I can give them an idea of how my time there helped prepare me for my career in finance.  I am also pleased to share my business acumen with the students of Louisiana Tech University.”
Rangaraj graduated from Cedar Creek School in 1997 and received his business degree in economics-accounting from Claremont McKenna College in Claremont, Calif.
The William Ardis Marbury Jr. and Virginia Lomax Marbury Lecture Series began in 2006 and is named after William Ardis Marbury Jr. and his wife Virginia. The pair, both Louisiana Tech graduates, established William A. Marbury & Company, Inc., a managing general insurance agency. This corporation grew to be the largest agency in Louisiana, and one of the largest in the South.
The general agency was sold in the 1950s to Commercial Union Insurance Company with the Ruston branch remaining the company’s largest in the country. In 1959, the Marburys and their associates founded Bankers Life of Louisiana, which became the largest credit life insurance writer in the state.
Written by Reggie Owens – regowens@latech.edu