Tech students, faculty attend national ethics conference at West Point

Oct 25, 2012 | General News

Louisiana Tech University Student Government President Will Dearmon, Treasurer Matt Rich, and faculty member Wayne Hogue recently attended the 27th Annual National Conference on Ethics in America (NCEA) at the United States Military Academy at West Point.
Approximately 150 students and 30 faculty members from across the United States were invited to attend the prestigious three-day conference to engage in intensive discussion and examination of ethical and moral issues facing college students today.

Wayne Hogue (left), Will Dearmon, and Matt Rich at West Point

“When you care about ethics, morality, and values as much as I do, spending three days at NCEA at West Point immersed in the subjects is an unbelievable experience,” said Hogue.  “It’s extraordinarily refreshing and uplifting to be around a bunch of college students and faculty from all over the country who care about ethics and character development.
“And West Point and all of the military academies are expert at it, so I come back energized and passionate about introducing the subjects to others.”
NCEA works to develop a national awareness of ethical behavior in the undergraduate community, improve collegiate codes of ethics and honor systems across the nation by drawing on the experiences and value systems of students from various colleges and universities, and provide students the opportunity to discuss issues of character and integrity with experienced military, business, and government leaders of character from across varying and diverse branches, fields, and organizations.
“My experience at the Nation Conference on Ethics in America was everything I expected and more,” said Dearmon.  “The opportunity to sit and discuss morality and ethical issues with college students, military cadets as well as military personnel, contributed to enhancing my personal view on important personal attributes like integrity, honor and honesty.  As a student leader at Louisiana Tech I can already see how this one conference has helped me grow as a person and leader and thus contributed to me developing into the person I want to be.”
Participation in NCEA by the group from Louisiana Tech is one of the extracurricular activities under Tech’s new Professionalism, Character, and Leadership Development Program being developed by Hogue.  Louisiana Tech has also been invited to attend the National Character and Leadership Development Symposium at the Air Force Academy and the Naval Academy Leadership Conference.
 Written by Wayne Hogue – whogue@latech.edu