Department of Communication professor helps bring home poster award

Louisiana Tech University School of Communication faculty member Dr. Kerri Phillips contributed to “Licensure Compacts in Audiology & Speech-Language Pathology: Enhancing Service Delivery,” a poster and presentation that was recognized as a Meritorious Poster at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Convention.

The Meritorious Poster Submission recognition is for proposals judged by the Convention Program Committee to show extraordinary, exceptional, and innovative work. The conference is the premier annual event for speech-language pathologists, audiologists, and speech, language and hearing scientists.

The poster advocated for the establishment of minimum standards for safe practicing of the professionals in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens in each state. Interstate contracts between two or more states create agreements on a variety of issues, such as policy changes, regulatory matters and boundary settlements.

Students who attended ASHA in 2018 were able to network and learn more about their intended profession.

“When I arrived at the ASHA conference in Boston, I was instantly filled with excitement, anticipation, and eagerness to see what was in store for us,” student Linda Claire said. “It made me realize just how much our field is growing both in numbers and in knowledge. Overall, it was a great educational experience and I am looking forward to returning in the future.”

Tech student Madison Nash was able to interact with experienced professionals at ASHA, and this opportunity increased her optimism about her future career.

“Overall, the ASHA Convention met all of my expectations and I look forward to many more as a Licensed SLP,” Nash said.

“We are part of a movement — a movement of passionate, engaged students and soon-to-be professionals,” student Allie Morgan said. “I learned so much from professionals at the convention and cannot wait to apply the new information to my future clinical experiences.”

Contributors to the presentation include Phillips, Glenn Waguespack, Theresa Rodgers, Amy Goldman, Vickie Pullins, Alison Lemke, Doreen Oyadomari, George Murphree, Tracy Grammer, Nahale Kalfas and Gregg Thornton. The group’s poster is among those that have received one of the highest ratings from the Topic Committee reviewers across both submission categories of professional education and research.

There were 2,122 total poster submissions received for 2018, and only 51 were selected for meritorious recognition.