Students earn NASTT scholarships

Two Louisiana Tech University College of Engineering and Science students earned the North American Society of Trenchless Technology (NASTT) Michael E. Argent Memorial Scholarship. John Kraft, master’s degree student in engineering with a concentration in civil engineering, and Jeb Kraft, senior construction engineering technology student, received the award for research and student leadership in trenchless technology.

John and Jeb Kraft work on a project to measure long-term tensile creep data.

Dr. John Matthews, associate professor of civil engineering and construction engineering technology at Louisiana Tech and director of the Trenchless Technology Center, says that he is pleased that John and Jeb Kraft received the honors.

“We are really proud to have two winners this year for this prestigious scholarship. John and Jeb are both outstanding students, active in the NASTT/AGC (the North American Society for Trenchless Technology, the Associated General Contractors) and the ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers), and they both are great workers for the Trenchless Technology Center.”

“Being involved with the Trenchless Technology Center has opened my eyes to the possibilities in the trenchless industry,” Jeb Kraft said. “The opportunities offered to me at Tech and the TTC, along with my employment with a CIPP contractor this past summer, has sparked a desire to pursue a career in the trenchless industry. This award will be a huge asset to aid me in helping me finish my degree and begin contributing to this field as a professional.”

In addition to being in NASTT/AGC and ASCE, John Kraft is also a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers Baja Team.

“I would have to say that my involvement with the NASTT student chapter prepared me the most for this award,” he says. “Through involvement with the student chapter, I was exposed to numerous aspects of the trenchless industry. This involvement consisted of attending numerous conferences to present research throughout my time at Tech and most recently a summer internship with a rehabilitation company in New Orleans.”

The NASTT established the scholarship in honor of founding member and trenchless technology authority Michael E. Argent to inspire young trenchless technology professionals. The scholarship provides a $5,000 stipend to fivestudents each year. Awardees must be enrolled as full-time students in accredited colleges, universities or trade schools for the year of the award.

John and Jeb Kraft will be formally recognized in a special awards presentation during the NASTT 2019 No-Dig Show, which will be held in Chicago, Illinois, in March.