MA student presents paper at Aquatic Noise 2019 Conference

Lilla Jimmerson, a graduate student in the Louisiana Tech University English MA program, presented her research, “The Link between Sonar and Mass Strandings of Cetaceans,” at the Aquatic Noise 2019 Conference in The Hague, the Netherlands this July.  She also participated in a two-hour poster session.

Lilla Jimmerson presents her research to a conference on noise pollution.The presentation was a result of Jimmerson’s major research assignment in Dr. Dorothy Robbins’ Technical Writing for Publication class. Students were instructed to research an interesting topic, write a scholarly journal article for a chosen journal, and submit the article abstract to an appropriate conference.  

“I decided the Aquatic Noise Conference was the best option because the conference focused on the same issues as the one I’d covered in my paper: noise pollution in the ocean,” Jimmerson said. “I am grateful for the opportunity that I had to present my research. It was an honor to represent Louisiana Tech University at this conference. I also appreciate the support of my professor and advisor, Dr. Dorothy Robbins, as well as the support of Dr. Susan Roach, the director of the School of Literature and Language, and Dr. Kirk St. Amant, the coordinator of Technical Writing.”