Computer Science major earns Upsilon Pi Epsilon scholarship

Louisiana Tech University Computer Science junior Andrew Casey Maurice has earned a $1,000 scholarship from the Upsilon Pi Epsilon International Honor Society for the Computing and Information Disciplines.

The scholarships are awarded to students who show significant contributions to their Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) chapters and who indicate commitment to careers in computing disciplines.

Dr. Benjamin Drozdenko, assistant professor of cyber engineering and faculty advisor for the Louisiana Tech UPE chapter, says that Maurice has also been active both on and off campus as a member of the Tech chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery, as a participant in interuniversity tournaments with the eSports Club, andas a development intern at Yellow Card Financial Services in Atlanta, Georgia, where he built on his classroom experiences with Louisiana Tech.

“Andrew is an outstanding student and computer scientist. He spent his summer working on various front-end development projects for Yellow Card Financial Services. Through training and assigned projects, he designed software using vanilla HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and other development tools such as Vue.js and npm and utilized platforms such as Github, Notion, and Slack to communicate with his development team and efficiently keep records of progress online.”

“I am grateful to UPE for selecting me as as a scholarship recipient and to the great Louisiana Tech computer science professors and my fellow students that helped me earn the scholarship,” Maurice added. “I also want to thank the great people at Yellow Card Financial, LLC, where I am learning even more through my internship. I plan to use the scholarship funds to finish my degree in computer science with minors in accounting and secondary education.”

Upsilon Pi Epsilon was founded in 1967 for students, faculty and computing professionals who exhibit superior scholastic and professional achievement in the computing and information disciplines. There are more than 290 chapters in colleges and universities around the world.