Pierre gives Tech’s fall graduates five principles for their future lives

Dr. Markey W. Pierre, President and Managing Partner of Southern Strategy Group of North Louisiana, celebrated the triumph of education in her commencement address Saturday at Louisiana Tech University. Almost 300 graduates marked the completion of their degrees at the ceremony.

commencement speakerPierre is a 1995 graduate of Louisiana Tech University with a bachelor’s degree in General Studies. As an advocate for public policy and change, Pierre builds partnerships across different ideologies, sometimes bridging deep divides to drive public policies that benefit everyone. Her clients range from Fortune 500 corporations to school boards to gaming and entertainment venues, municipal entities, and professional and trade associations.

“This ceremony reminds me of the questions and concerns that I had of what would I do with my life when I walked across this stage,” Pierre said. “I know what it takes and how hard it is to see it through. You put your time in!”

Pierre left graduates with five principles to help them commit to the process of winning in their future lives.

“You can achieve what you believe – it begins in the mind,” she said. “Repeat after me, ‘If it is to be, it is up to me.’”

Pierre advocated for graduates to make wise choices and not waste their time on things that are not worth the trouble.

“You decide how you want to live out your live with your choices,” Pierre said. “Think carefully through your next steps. Choose not to waste your time, and give your energy to those things that matter most.”

The author, motivational speaker, lobbyist, and adjunct professor also advised graduates to be true to themselves and to seek opportunities to make a difference for other humans.

“There is something on the inside of me that makes me want to make a difference for someone else,” she said, adding that students should always choose to follow their dreams. “Your time on earth is very limited. Don’t waste it living someone else’s life.”

Finally, Pierre challenged graduates never to give up when their lives presented difficulties.

“Every place that you have landed is a place for learning something that pushes you closer to your purpose,” she said. “Remember the goal and keep pushing forward. These five principles are all impacted by the people you surround yourself with. Surround yourself with good people, and you will win.”

Commencement ceremonies marked the official end to the Fall 2019 quarter at Tech. Winter quarter classes will begin Dec. 4.