Top 5 – Social media platforms

May 26, 2020 | Top 5

Gavin's workspaceNote: During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have the chance to learn a little more about our Louisiana Tech University Family: students, staff, alumni, faculty, and friends. We’ll call it Tech Top 5. Go to LATechSports.com for more Top 5s. #TogetherApart

Gavin T. Kelly

Gavin T. Kelly is Louisiana Tech’s Social Media Strategist in University Communications, so he knows a thing or three about social media. These are the best platforms according to our Resident Pro.

1. Instagram: I love the visual aspect of it, and the general attention span of the platform is short and sweet. It allows you to showcase your life’s greatest highlights. A picture really is worth a thousand words.
  2. Twitter: Tweets come at you a mile a minute, and they’re hilarious if you’re following the right people. I mainly go on Twitter for the memes and sports updates. I also believe that people are their true selves more on Twitter than anywhere else online.
  3. YouTube: I have learned, lived, and laughed more through YouTube than any other platform. Growing up, strangers from all over the world taught me to play guitar. YouTube makes creators out of everybody. Sometimes that’s a good thing.
  4. TikTok: I was hesitant to get on board, but I’ve wasted countless hours scrolling through TikTok content in the last few months. There are a lot of funny and talented people expressing themselves through the platform. No, I have not learned the Renegade dance.
  5. Snapchat: Definitely more useful as peer-to-peer than a marketing platform, but Snapchat is a staple of my everyday affairs within my personal social media. Where else am I supposed to send clips of myself venting to my friends with a filter that makes my head look like a pineapple?