Top 5 – Reasons to love Ruston
Note: During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have the chance to learn a little more about our Louisiana Tech University Family: students, staff, alumni, faculty, and friends. We’ll call it Tech Top 5. Go to LATechSports.com for more Top 5s. #TogetherApart
A born and raised New Yorker—from Poughkeepsie, just 90 minutes north of The Big Apple — Mary Ramsey moved to Ruston only two months before Louisiana Tech transitioned to distance learning in mid-March. Now, far away from home, she’s found a second one. Tech’s Assistant Director of Communications in the University’s Department of Recruitment and Admissions appreciates and embraces the culture shock. Here’s why she loves Ruston.
- Y’all. Why is this word not more universally accepted?!
- I can call someone at 9:30 at night to remove a lizard from my apartment. This New Yorker is not jiving with the creepy crawlies, and I’ve legit had to do this.
- Crawfish Boils. I’m a convert y’all! (You like what I did there?)
- Tony’s Seasoning. Look, I can cook a mean meatball and my marinara sauce (that’s “sawce” with the right accent) game is on point. But, I can’t put meatballs and marinara sauce on top of EVERYTHING. I can try, but I’ll be honest — Tony’s goes so much better on an avocado than on a meatball.
- The complete and utter kindness. This has been a strange transition, and I am in complete awe of those who continually check up on me — not out of obligation, but as an actual sense of concern.