Louisiana Tech student cracks Bulldog Code

Jul 22, 2022 | General News, Students, Tech Family

Since the addition of the indoor pool to the Lambright Sports and Wellness Center, many have driven down Tech Drive and wondered, “Do the windows on the side of the building mean anything?”

A decade ago, when architects constructed the newest addition to Lambright, the Bulldog Code that can be seen on the side of the building was used to aid in the design.

In late June, during one of his daily walks, Louisiana Tech University President Dr. Les Guice urged followers on Facebook to solve the puzzle using their love of Louisiana Tech and their wits. Sarah Scarlato, a student lifeguard at Lambright, saw a code that was meant to be cracked.

“I have always wondered what the windows meant but never actually took time to try to crack the code on my own,” Scarlato said. “One day I decided I was going to take the time to sit down and figure it out. So I did!”

Scarlato said she solved the code with a notebook, a pen, a pencil and an episode of “The Golden Girls.”

“The funniest part about this is that I’m really quite awful at math, codes, and other things like that,” Scarlato said. “I am also incredibly proud of myself and very excited to have done something like this here at Louisiana Tech.”

Now that the decade-long secret has been cracked, the code will remain a secret until the time is right to reveal it.  But others, including Louisiana Tech’s cyber students are working to discover the code’s meaning themselves.

The code’s solution will remain hidden in the Centennial clock tower, Guice said.

“Once you understand the Bulldog Code, you will never look at Lambright, or Louisiana Tech, the same way,” Guice said. “Congratulations to Sarah for her incredible work in decoding this familiar phrase.”