ROTC cadets gain technical, business skills from new AFGSC and CIC program

Aug 29, 2022 | General News, Research and Development, Shreveport/Bossier, Students

Louisiana Tech University Reserve Officer Training Corp cadets are gaining the unique experience of working on Department of Defense cutting edge research and technology.

Cyber Innovation Center and Air Force Global Strike Command recently completed the first ever ROTC Cadet Training Success Program. The Louisiana Tech University program was funded by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research through Clarkson, Inc.

The program provides selected cadets valuable hands-on experience working with cutting edge research and technology programs as well as contributing to unique AFGSC research-based projects.

“Our partnership is designed to allow and enable collaborative projects between CIC and the Air Force, and I can’t think of a better illustration of this than the ROTC Cadets Training Success project,” said Melissa Nyman, CIC project manager. “The cadets gained invaluable experience on various technical projects and the command benefitted from getting further development on digital capabilities.”

Norman Pritchard

Norman Pritchard

Justin Miller, a senior cadet at Louisiana Tech, and Norman Pritchard, a Louisiana Tech junior cadet, worked for eight weeks at the CIC in Bossier City, Louisiana, on various technical projects.

These projects developed systems, concepts and technologies to enhance areas including data analytics, decision tools, advanced learning technologies and software automation.

Miller worked with Ruby Shore Software and the Striker Airmen Coder cohort develop web app for simplifying aircraft maintenance.

Pritchard worked with the CIC’s development team to add value to existing projects expanding the Air Force’s information capabilities.

Both cadets also learned about several directorates in the command, while attending sessions during the Bomb Wing’s Operation Air Force.

Miller said his time in the program has made him feel more capable of jumping into an unknown subject and learning how to adapt and achieve.

“As a Computer Information Systems major, learning this type of technology was something totally new to me. It was a great experience that has prepared me for my future career,” Miller said. “This was something I definitely needed, and I would totally do this program again.”

Justin Miller

Justin Miller

Pritchard said he benefitted by gaining new skills such as coding and programming software experience, but also gained real world, working experience.

“I had never been in an office environment of this scale, and next time I won’t have any nerves so I can jump straight in,” Pritchard said. “I gained business development in meetings with leadership at Barksdale Air Force Base and talking with developmental engineers on base.”