SLP grad student presents at national convention

Nov 29, 2022 | General News, Liberal Arts, Research, Students

Bailey Grace Jennings, a second-year graduate student in Louisiana Tech’s Speech-Language Pathology program, recently presented her research at the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) national convention in New Orleans.

Bailey JenningsHer poster presentation was titled “Words Matter: Reframing CSD Programs’ Thinking About Adolescents.” Under the guidance of faculty Dr. Kristin Nellenbach and Dr. Carrie Knight in Tech’s Department of Communication Disorders, Jennings answered two questions pertaining to course offerings on adolescent development and needs in Communication Sciences and Disorder programs in the United States.

“The poster is a representation of our research,” Jennings said. “I helped them write and conduct research on the importance of advocating for adolescent language in speech-language pathology graduate school programs.”

A native of Greenwood, Mississippi, Jennings graduated high school from Pillow Academy in Greenwood and earned her BS in speech-language and hearing sciences at Delta State University in Cleveland, Mississippi, before coming to Tech to earn her master’s.

“One reason I chose this major is because I loved how I would have the opportunity to work with a variety of age groups, children to adults,” she said. “But the main reason I chose this major is because I have always enjoyed helping other people. What better way to do this than to help people communicate?”

Usually, ASHA national conventions draw around 15,000 attendees.

“Although I was nervous at first, I am honored to be a part of this project,” Jennings said. “I feel like it has been a great opportunity and allowed me to gain new skills. I think this convention will be a great learning experience, and I cannot wait be a part of it.”

After graduation in May, Jennings hopes to work as a speech-language pathologist in the specialty area of feeding and swallowing.