Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (as amended) is a federal law that provides guidelines for educational institutions regarding protection and release of student education record information. FERPA provides Louisiana Tech students with the following rights with respect to their education records:
1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day Louisiana Tech University receives a written request for access.
Students are required to submit a signed request to the University Registrar identifying the education records they wish to inspect. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the student may review his/her education records.
2. The right to request Louisiana Tech University to amend that part of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading.
Students may ask Louisiana Tech University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. The student will provide the Registrar with a written statement clearly identifying the part of the record he/she wants changed and why it is inaccurate or misleading. Procedures to be used for review and appeal are on file in the Registrar’s Office.
3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
Exceptions, which permit disclosures without consent, include disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests, and upon request, disclosure without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Louisiana Tech to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The address of the office that administers FERPA is Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 600 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-4605.
Notice for Directory Information
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a federal law, requires that Louisiana Tech University, with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from your education records. However, Louisiana Tech University may disclose appropriately designated “directory information” without written consent, unless you have advised the University to the contrary in accordance with Louisiana Tech University procedures. The primary purpose of directory information is to allow the University to include this type of information from your education records in certain publications (e.g. yearbook, dean’s list, president’s list, other recognition lists, commencement programs, sports programs, playbills, etc.).
Directory Information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, can also be disclosed to outside organizations without prior written consent. Outside organizations include, but are not limited to, companies that manufacture class rings or publish yearbooks, or print programs. If you do not want Louisiana Tech University to disclose directory information from your education records without your prior written consent, you must notify the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, Louisiana Tech University in writing.
Louisiana Tech University designates the following information as DIRECTORY INFORMATION:
- Student’s name
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Telephone listing
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- Electronic mail address
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
- Date and place of birth
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Most recent educational agency or institution attended