Frequently asked questions
I'm ready to get started. What do I need to do?
- Complete an application online.
- Send original transcripts from all the colleges or universities you’ve attended to Louisiana Tech University, P.O. Box 128, Barksdale AFB, LA 71110.
- Contact a Barksdale Program advisor to develop a plan of study.
- Register for class. Early registration occurs several weeks before a Quarter begins. Watch for dates, times, and place for early registration. For our non-military students, a base pass is REQUIRED to get on base to attend classes.
- Classroom assignments are determined just prior to the class start date and will be posted on bulletin boards in the Base Education Center. You may also call our office to find out where your class will meet.
I am a civilian; am I still eligible to attend classes on Barksdale Air Force Base?
When is registration?
Do I need to get a new base pass for every quarter I attend classes?
How do I get a base pass?
For first-time civilians or for those whose pass has expired, you should attend the civilian registration day to apply for a base pass. Effective Jan. 9, 2017, you will need a REAL ID compliant driver’s license, proof of auto registration, and a proof of auto insurance.
You can also stop by the Academic Success Center to complete necessary documentation to obtain a base pass. Call 318.383.5770 for more information.
Is a placement exam required?
For English, a placement exam is required before taking ENGL 101 unless you have an ACT score of at least 18 or an SAT score of at least 450. ENGL 101 credit is granted if your English ACT score is at least 30 or you have a Verbal SAT score of at least 680.
Placement exams are given Monday through Friday in the Louisiana Tech Barksdale Program office on the third floor of the Education Center, Building 4314. Please call ahead of time to ensure a proctor is available when you would like to take an exam.
How much is tuition?
The current cost is $214 per credit hour (Tuition and fees subject to change). For up-to-date costs, visit Tuition and Fees. Typical classes are three semester hours. Textbooks are not included in this cost.
Is financial aid available?
Who are the Barksdale Program Advisors and what are their office hours?
Where do I park?
- Parking north or west of the Base Education Center on Douhet Dr or Louisiana Blvd.
- Parking north of the Chapel Annex on Louisiana Blvd or south of the Annex in the parking lot between Burger King and Chapel.
- Parking lot next to Base Civil Engineering located on Kenney Ave.
Parking is strictly prohibited in the following areas and will result in a parking ticket being issued by the Barksdale Security Forces Law Enforcement patrols:
- Chapel Annex north parking lot.
- Burger King parking lot.
- Parking lot north of the education center. This lot is by special permit only for dormitory residents, Education Center employees, and university faculty and staff. The Barksdale Air Force Base-issued decal or vehicle permit does not allow parking in this lot.
How do I purchase my textbooks?
Will I have access to the University library?
How will I find out my grade?
What are my rights and responsibilities as a student?
What is the smoking policy at Tech Barksdale?
Who do I see if I can't find an answer to my questions?
If you are still not satisfied, the Director of Louisiana Tech’s Barksdale Program is Michael Solice. You can reach him at 318.456.5005 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.