January 25, 2016
Call to Order
The January 25, 2016 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:00 p.m. in the Ropp Center, Room 105, by President Patrick O’Neal.
A quorum was met. Those absent without excuse or proxy are: Rich Mancil, Teddy Allen, and Andy Cline.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes for December 14, 2015 were presented for ratification; a motion to approve of the minutes as presented was made by Greg Schelonka and seconded by Steven Toaddy. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
1. Guest Speaker – Dr. Jim King
o Presented the “Big Picture” for Louisiana Tech as it relates to growth, recruitment, and retention. • Five new recruiters dedicated to each college
• New Social Media Coordinator
• Balancing tuition discounting/scholarships Current criteria ACT and High School GPA
• Housing construction and improvements
• Parking improvements
• Emphasized having a “Personal Touch” with each prospective and current student Handwritten notes
2. President’s Opening Remarks
o Important Dates and Updates • Feb 20, 2015: ALFS in Alexandria, Guest Speaker: Rallo (Commissioner of Higher Education)
• Feb 22, 2016: Guest Speaker: Brooks Hull (University Foundation)
• University vision for growth of private funding, rules for raising money, rules for spending money
• March 3, 2016: CLCU in Baton Rouge (Conference of Louisiana Colleges & Universities)
• March 9, 2016: University Senate President Patrick O’Neal visits ULL Senate
• March 16, 2016 Wed, 4 PM: Meeting of all university faculty and staff @ Howard Auditorium
• Hotel Planner: Mandate removed
• Library Update: http://www.latech.edu/masterplan/graphics/wt_plan.pdf
• Ad hoc committee chair: Terri Murray
• Work-Day Update: (See ex: http://www.utexas.edu/asmp/workdayut)
• AROS Survey: Rollout is imminent, wait and see re: Senate Climate Survey V2
o Old Business • Request: Professorship Update The Louisiana Tech University Senate Request for Changes in the Management and Distribution of Professorship Funds Executive Summary was presented to the Senate and a motion to bring it forward to President Guice was made by Bill Stammerjohan and seconded by Steven Toaddy. The motion passed by unanimous vote.
• Awards for unclassified staff Three possible awards are being discussed
• Work-Life Policies Update Modified Duties
Mid Tenure Review
Child Care 7:45am-5:15pm for Louisiana Tech University employees and students.
o New Business • New Items to be moved to Committee – None
o Other Business – None
4. Voluntary Remarks – None
5. Adjournment – The motion to adjourn was made by Ernie Rufleth and seconded by Shawn Trivette. The meeting adjourned at 4:53 pm. Kim Barlow, Recording Secretary