October 26, 2015
Call to Order
The October 26, 2015 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:00 p.m. in the Ropp Center, Room 105, by President Patrick O’Neal.
A quorum was met. Those absent without excuse or proxy are: Rhonda Boyd, Teresa Murray, and Teddy Allen.
Approval of Minutes
The minutes for September 2015 were presented for ratification; a motion to approve of the September 28, 2015 minutes as presented was made by Greg Schelonka and seconded by Shawn Trivette. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
1. Guest Speaker – None
2. President’s Opening Remarks o Senate Leader ship role • Constitution Policy 1302
• Identify Taskable Items
Senate Committees, Surveys, Your feedback from your personal interactions in your unit
• Assist Implementation
Identify resources. Strategy: Do we focus our energies internally or externally?
How do we interact with the stakeholders? (Colleges, administrators…)
Provide Perspective (“2 levels of leadership above”), Sense of Proportion
• Follow – Up
New polices or procedures *OR* Personal support
o Budget Update • State budget for University flat for FY16
$28.6M State Appropriations ($103,657 less FY15)
$84.4M Self-generated (+$8.4M than FY15)
$113M total operating budget (+~$10M from 2014-15)
$15M (2012), $19M(2013), $24M(2014), $29M?(2015) Scholarships
Already received word of impending budget cut on state funds
Tuition/fees increase (+10%)
• For FY16 budget:
25% state funded
o October APC Meeting • Highlights from September APC:
Highest ACTs we’ve seen, more feeders, transfer students, Allie’s “Campus Connect” is a model for success,
Brooks Hull is the new head of the Foundation (Will speak to Senate: Jan?)
623 FTE Increase in Student
New Drug Testing Policy
Library: Watch the “Hunt Library Video”. This is our muse, how it functions, what it accomplishes.
O’Neal: Faculty Survey, New Awards (inc. Staff), Hotel Planner, New Conversations about Fund Raising, Tuition Discounting
o Follow-up from Last Meeting
Raises: 2-4% (Still 1 S.D. below the peer-group mean*?) We could use a new kind of structure for raises (Tell story about “5k”)
Civil Service got the standard raise (4%?)
Work-life Committee: Needs a member
Employee Survey: President Backs an external survey, more info later this week after meeting with Dr. TMM
o Opening the Lid
Tech is “cash poor”
Louisiana underfunds Higher Education, and tuition is low
There are underperforming units
We are still down on a number of positions, and they are not easy to fill
Some units are dysfunctional
o Standardized Feedback (Ex: ULL Example) Salary Rank Compression*
o Governor’s Election
o Follow-up on Hotel Planner
(1) University of Louisiana System Faculty Advisory Council. If functioning, bring to UL System Leadership.
(2) Prepare a Brief for the Governor (Don’t need to go to State Travel Office: These are not “deciders”.)
3. Business o Old Business
• May 2015 Minutes – Vote to approve o There is no tally of votes on record (only a majority rule statement) for the Senate vote in support of Option 1 (unmodified M-11a) of the inclusiveness/antidiscrimination policy statement
o Include the method of voting for 2015-2016 Officers and the Antidiscrimination Statement amendment
• The amended minutes for May 2015 were presented for ratification; a motion to approve of the May 18, 2015 minutes as presented was made by Greg Schelonka and seconded by Leland Weiss. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
• Amended language notes a closed ballot as opposed to a show of hands. Motion to approve amended language as presented was made by Shawn Trivette and Greg Shelonka. Motion passed by unanimous vote.
• Work-life Committee members – Julie Rutledge o New Mary Caldorera-Moore
UNKNOWN – Library
• Grievance Committee members – Julie Rutledge o New UNKNOWN – Education
Must be Tenured
• Treasurer’s Report – Jamie Hancock o President Guice may give consideration to funding
• Guest Speakers – President Patrick O’Neal Quality Matters (QM) – Pamela S. Morgan
Standing invitation to Pres. Guice each year
Foundation guest during Fall Quarter
• 2nd Annual Unclassified Faculty and Staff Meeting Pick a date • Suggestion for February or March – 4:00pm
• Tuition Exchange Program Marilyn Robinson’s email asking for a status report • Not well advertised
• Pamela Ford
o New Business
• Committee Working Meeting Choose areas of focus for 2015-2016 • Ideas for Committee Work
Budget Advisory Committee
The Make-Up of Faculty
Work on Plans for implementation
Report back to Senate Floor on strategy
o Other Business – None
4. Voluntary Remarks – None
5. Adjournment – The motion to adjourn was made by Julie Rutledge and seconded by Kathleen Heiden. The meeting adjourned at 5:05 pm.
Kim Barlow, Recording Secretary