Fall 2023 Commencement will be held Saturday, November 18 at 10 a.m.
If you are not planning on participating in the ceremony, you are required to complete the Absence from Commencement form. If you have any questions, please contact Graduation@LATech.edu. The form can be found online.
There are currently no ticket or gathering limits for the ceremony, and masks will be optional for those in attendance.
- Tickets are currently not required for the Commencement Ceremonies.
- Family and friends who are unable to attend commencement can watch the events via Facebook Live.
Important information for graduates
- Caps and gowns should be picked up from the bookstore between November 1-3 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. daily. If you have questions, call 318.257.3066.
- Graduates must arrive at the Thomas Assembly Center, main level (bottom floor) to the right of the main entrance 1 hour prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Doors to the Thomas Assembly Center will open one hour before each ceremony for guests to be seated.
- Masks are optional. For those graduates who chose to wear one, it should be either a solid color mask, the mask that was purchased with their cap and gown, or a Louisiana Tech branded mask.
- Graduates should not decorate their mortar board/cap.
- There are no storage areas for personal items such as purses or cameras, so plan accordingly. Do not bring these items with you!
Order cap and gown
Caps and gowns can be ordered online. Complete details are available on the ordering page of this section of the website.
Ordering honor society cords
Honor society cords, stoles, or shawls are ordered through the local chapter of that honor society. The local chapter verifies individual eligibility each quarter. Only University-approved cords, stoles, or shawls will be allowed to be worn during the ceremony.
Students eligible for Latin honors at commencement (cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude) do not receive or wear a special cord or stole/shawl. Instead, the appropriate Latin honor is announced when they cross the stage, is listed in the Commencement Program, embossed on their diplomas, and permanently loaded into their official transcript data.
Bags & Bag Search
Guests will be able to carry the following style and size bag, package, or container into the venue:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC and do not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12″ (Official Louisiana Tech team logo clear plastic tote bags will be available through the Louisiana Tech Barnes and Noble store).
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar)
- Small clutch bags, no larger than 4.5″ x 6.5″, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the venue with one of the clear plastic bags.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection. Prohibited items include but are not limited to purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, non-approved seat cushions, and chairbacks*, luggage of any kind, computer bags, and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.
- Banners and pep signs are allowed, provided they are hand-held of reasonable size, can be stored beneath the seat, and do not block the view of other patrons. Any banner or sign containing profanity or objectionable material will be confiscated.