Commencement is held in the Samuel M. Thomas Assembly Center on the main campus of Louisiana Tech University.
Use the campus map (Building No. 68 on the map) to see where the Thomas Assembly Center is located in relation to the campus, Interstate 20 and Highways 80 and 167.
Bags & Bag Search
Guests will be able to carry the following style and size bag, package, or container into the venue:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC and do not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12″ (Official Louisiana Tech team logo clear plastic tote bags will be available through the Louisiana Tech Barnes and Noble store).
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar)
- Small clutch bags, no larger than 4.5″ x 6.5″, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the venue with one of the clear plastic bags.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection. Prohibited items include but are not limited to purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, non-approved seat cushions, and chairbacks*, luggage of any kind, computer bags, and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.
- Banners and pep signs are allowed, provided they are hand-held of reasonable size, can be stored beneath the seat, and do not block the view of other patrons. Any banner or sign containing profanity or objectionable material will be confiscated.
Louisiana Tech Thomas Assembly Center – 1650 West Alabama Avenue Ruston, LA 71272.
From the North (Little Rock, El Dorado, Arkansas) – Take Highway 167 south to downtown Ruston. Turn right onto Alabama Avenue and proceed directly to the Thomas Assembly Center. After the third stoplight (Alabama Avenue at Tech Drive) you will see Joe Aillet Stadium (football field) on your right and the Thomas Assembly Center on the hill to your right.
From the South (Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Louisiana) – Take Highway 167 north to downtown Ruston. Turn left onto Alabama Avenue. After the third stoplight (Alabama Avenue at Tech Drive) you will see Joe Aillet Stadium (football field) on your right. The Thomas Assembly Center is located just past the football stadium on your right.
From the East (Vicksburg, Jackson, Mississippi) – Take I-20 west to Ruston, exit 84. At the top of the exit ramp, turn left. Follow Tech Drive to campus. Just as you crest the hill, you will see the Marbury Alumni Center on your left, Joe Aillet Stadium (football field) on your right, and behind it, the Thomas Assembly Center. Proceed one more block to Alabama Avenue (stoplight) and turn right. The Thomas Assembly Center is located just past the football stadium on your right.
From the West (Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas) – Take I-20 east to Ruston, exit 84. At the top of the exit ramp, turn right onto Tech Drive. Follow Tech Drive to campus. Just as you crest the hill, you will see the Marbury Alumni Center on your left, Joe Aillet Stadium (football field) on your right, and behind it, the Thomas Assembly Center. Proceed one more block to Alabama Avenue (stoplight) and turn right. The Thomas Assembly Center is located just past the football stadium on your right.
Those family and friends who are unable to attend commencement can watch the event via Facebook Live.
Additional parking is available at the corner of Tech Drive and Alabama Avenue or in any of the main campus parking lots. Parking is prohibited on grass and sidewalks. For our guests with disabilities, there is a limited amount of designated handicapped parking at the top of the hill on the Alabama Avenue side entrance next to the Assembly Center.
There will be uniformed officers of the Louisiana Tech University Campus Police, the Ruston Police Department, and the Lincoln Parish Sheriff’s Department available for assistance.
The Assembly Center will open 60 minutes prior to the beginning of the ceremony. The commencement processional will begin promptly at the time listed for each ceremony. Please remain seated during the ceremony and refrain from unnecessary noisemaking while degrees are conferred.
For safety purposes, guests are not allowed on the playing floor or in the graduate assembly areas before or during the ceremony.
Large signs, balloon bouquets, banners, etc. should not be brought into the arena since this will block the view of other guests.
During the ceremonies, a commercial photographer will be taking pictures as your student receives their diploma from Dr. Guice and as your student exits the stage. The photographer will post the proofs to his website online after graduation, along with pricing and ordering information. Website information (gradphotonetwork.com) is provided in the graduation package your student will receive.