The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) offers you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know. Students take an exam that tests comprehensive knowledge of a particular subject, and most passing scores award three credit hours. Louisiana Tech accepts many CLEP exams, but not all. Refer to the section below for a specific list and corresponding course credit.
The Testing Center is currently accepting CLEP appointments, but availability is limited. Appointments cannot be made more than one week in advance. Appointments cannot be made during finals week of each academic quarter. Conversely, the short period between academic quarters is an excellent time to schedule CLEP appointments. Contact the testing center for up-to-date information.
Refer to the “Registration and Scheduling” section below if you wish to take an exam in our office. Additionally, students who do not live in Ruston can take CLEP exams anywhere they are administered, such as their local high school. Louisiana Tech University should be designated as the score recipient if the score is intended for LA Tech credit. This is part of the Registration process on CLEP’s website. It typically takes between 2 and 3 weeks for Collegeboard to mail these scores. Scores are not posted until they have been received.
CLEP exams can also be administered at Louisiana Tech for credit at another college. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure their university will award credit for the exam they choose to take.
There are two versions of the English CLEP exam: College Composition and College Composition Modular. Louisiana Tech accepts the standard College Composition, but the College Composition Modular exam is not accepted for Louisiana Tech credit.
Eligibility and Test Policies
Carefully read the following points before purchasing or taking a CLEP for Louisiana Tech:
- A student will not be allowed to receive credit on the CLEP Exam if he/she has passed, failed, or withdrawn from the Tech equivalent course(s) or if he/she is presently enrolled in the course.
- CLEP examinations will not be accepted for credit for any 300-400 level business course for students enrolled in the College of Administration and Business at Louisiana Tech. For example, an economics major cannot take the marketing CLEP.
- CLEP credit is awarded based on determinations made by the department of the student’s major. It is advisable to speak with your advisor before taking a CLEP test.
- CLEP credit is not immediately posted to a student’s transcript. Louisiana Tech must wait for Collegeboard to send the score through the mail. This takes between 2-3 weeks.
- The College Composition Modular exam is not accepted for Louisiana Tech credit.
Registration and Scheduling
- Testers first make an account on clep.collegeboard.org. This account is used to purchase Registration Tickets for exams. Each ticket costs $89.
- Testing Services charges a $25 proctoring fee per exam. This fee is payable in the cashier’s office (103 Keeny Circle, Ruston, LA).
- Testers should bring their registration ticket, cashier’s office receipt, and government-issued photo ID to their appointment.
- Examinees should contact Drew Boyd, Testing Coordinator, at 318.257.4882 or email@example.com to schedule.
- Appointments are available Monday through Thursday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- An email containing exam day instructions, testing policies, location, and campus navigation is sent once a student makes an appointment.
- Students receive an unofficial copy of their score report upon completion.
Louisiana Tech Accepted Exams
|CLEP Subject Examinations||Equivalent Tech Course||Passing Score||Credit Hours|
|COMPOSITION & LITERATURE|
|College Composition||English 101||50||3|
|French Language – Level 1||(two quarters)||50||6|
|French Language – Level 2||(four quarters)||62||12|
|Spanish Language – Level 1||(two quarters)||50||6|
|Spanish Language – Level 2||(four quarters)||66||12|
|SOCIAL SCIENCES & HISTORY|
|American Government||Political Science 201||50||3|
|History of the United States I||History 201 (1492-1877)||50||3|
|History of the United States II||History 202 (1877- present)||50||3|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||Economics 201||50||3|
|Principles of Microeconomics||Economics 202||50||3|
|Introductory Psychology||Psychology 102||50||3|
|Introductory Educational Psychology||Psychology 204||50||3|
|Introductory Sociology||Sociology 201||50||3|
|Western Civilization I||History 101||50||3|
|Western Civilization II||History 102||50||3|
|SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS|
|Biology||Biological Sciences 101 & 102||50||6|
|College Algebra||Math 101||50||3|
|Introductory Business Law||Business Law 255||50||3|
|Principles of Marketing||Marketing 300||50||3|
|Principles of Management||Management 310||50||3|
A student will not be allowed to receive credit on the CLEP Exam if he/she has passed, failed, or withdrawn from the Tech equivalent course(s) or if he/she is presently enrolled in the course.
*CLEP examinations will not be accepted for credit for any 300-400 level business course for students enrolled in the College of Administration and Business at Louisiana Tech.
**Students testing for non-Louisiana Tech credit will need to contact their educational institution for qualifying exams and minimum score requirements.
NOTE: The final determination of how CLEP credit may be awarded at Louisiana Tech University will be determined by the academic area responsible for the student’s degree program. Additional concerns or questions should be directed to the dean of the school in which the student is enrolled. It is advisable to check with your academic advisor before taking a CLEP test.
ACE recommends a uniform credit-granting score of 50 for most subjects.