Louisiana Tech University Senate – November Minutes

Monday, November 14 at 4:00-5:00 pm, Wyly Auditorium

  1. Call to Order – The November 14, 2022 meeting of the University Senate was called to order at 4:01 p.m. in Wyly Auditorium by President, Louis Reis.
  2. Welcome – President, Louis Reis, COES
  3. Roll Call – Alicia Kimbell recorded attendance; a quorum was met
  4. Approval of October 2022 Minutes – a motion to approve the minutes was made by Matthew Hartmann and seconded by Shelcie Menard- Harvey; all approved
  5. Updates
    1. State Tenure Taskforce
      1. No new information from ULS representative (Philip Auter, ULL)
      2. Rescheduled for 11/17
      3. Committee is supposed to terminate by 3/1/23
    2. Reimbursement Procedures
      1. Sam Wallace needs to visit with one more department
      2. Nearly complete and will soon implement
      3. Will announce at the next APC (possibly January)
      4. Nicole Dotray in Purchasing can answer questions about P-cards
      5. Sam Wallace as a potential speaker?
    3. Meeting with Dr. Guice (11/10/22)
      1. Climate Survey
        1. There hasn’t been one in a while
        2. Ongoing discussion with President and Provost to create climate survey
      2. Professorship and Endowments
        1. Guice to speak with Lisa Cole (info should be released soon at APC); would like to see if a specific date could be given
        2. Dates and funds tied to market; waiting to see how market trends
        3. Concern with lack of information on professorship funds at this point in the quarter
          1. Faculty need to spend current funds in the university account
    4. Meeting with Dr. McConathy (10/28/22)
      1. Policy 1405 – Evaluation of Administrators
        1. Has been approved and will be implemented this year
        2. Provost instructed CADS to begin creating evaluation forms on Qualtrics to be used for Deans and Associate Deans
      2. Policy 2106 – Workload
        1. Provost to look into workload distribution, looking at class hours and sizes
        2. Asked to look into tenure requirements & ensure match between workload expectations and tenure/promotion expectations
        3. Asked to make tenure expectations/requirements more readily visible (a clearer way to access it)
        4. Need guidelines
      3. Instructor “distinctions”
        1. Looking at a way to skirt around BOR language to grant “distinctions” to exceptional instructors
    5. APC (11/10/22)
      1. Tech Online
        1. 144 applicants total from Winter Quarter & onward
        2. Plan to invite Tom Hoover and/or Donna Thomas in January
        3. Jerona Washington to be over Tech Online
      2. Student Success Specialists
        1. 2 positions have been hired, 2 are almost ready to be hired, and 1 is still in the interview process
        2. Serve to reach out to students who have resigned or dropped below full-time status
        3. All should be hired by Christmas break
      3. Renovation and Construction
        1. 3 projects submitted
          1. GTM, Forestry and Agricultural Products Center, Athletic Academic Success Center
          2. Hopefully begin in 2024
          3. CTH will be next, possibly in 2025
          4. New Mitchell apartments (Tech Drive) will be ready Winter Quarter
          5. Tolliver (Moe’s) and Centennial Plaza to be completed soon
      4. Other Updates
        1. Crawford – Campus visits, apps, and admits are up since this time last year
        2. Wood – New C-USA media agreement gives more revenue and exposure
        3. Brooks Hull leaving for TX State at the end of December; looking for a replacement
        4. Dua – Research Partnership Conference planned for the week of 12/5
    6. Deficiency Exams
      1. Shelcie Menard-Harvey, committee chair – no updates
        1. There are 4 committee members so far
        2. E-mail Shelcie if interested in joining committee
        3. Approval to recruit people outside of the senate for more feedback
    7. Planned Speakers
      1. Guest speaker meetings can be open to all faculty/staff to attend
      2. December – Allison Maldonado (Director of OSP)
        1. Will email her questions from senate a week before the meeting
        2. A forum will be posted on Moodle for senate to ask questions anonymously
      3. January/February – the senate voted to change the speaker to Sam Wallace for January’s meeting and move Tom Hoover/Donna Thomas to February meeting; all approved, no opposition
      4. March – Dr. Guice to give university report
      5. April
      6. May – officer elections
  1. New Business – none
  2. Adjournment
    1. Meeting was adjourned at 4:42 p.m.; all approved