Policy 2309 – Residency Requirements

Revision Date: 2014

Responsible Office: Admissions Office 

Reference: Board of Supervisors

As Determined by the University of Louisiana System Board of Supervisors

Because residence classification is an important part of fee determination, admission regulations and other policies of the colleges and universities, it is important that colleges and universities have fair and equitable regulations which can be administered consistently, respecting the interest of both the students and the taxpayers of Louisiana. It is the responsibility of the student to provide the colleges and universities with such evidence as deemed necessary to establish his residence status.

Definition of Residency

Pursuant to House Concurrent Resolution No. 226 of 1986, the following definition of residency shall apply for fee assessment purposes effective the fall semester, 1987:

A resident student for tuition purposes is defined as one who has abandoned all prior domiciles and has been domiciled in the State of Louisiana continuously for at least one full year (365 days) immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which resident classification is sought. “Domicile,” as the term is used in the context of residence regulations, is defined as an individual’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation at which the individual remains when not called elsewhere for labor, studies or other special temporary purposes, and the place to which the individual returns after an absence. A nonresident student for tuition purposes is a student not eligible for classification as a resident.

The individual’s physical presence within this state for one year must be associated with the substantial evidence that such presence was with the intent to maintain a Louisiana domicile. Physical presence within the state solely for education purposes without substantial evidence of the intent to remain in Louisiana will not be sufficient for resident classification regardless of the length of time within the state.

However, discrete categories of individuals may be defined as special residents if such action is deemed to be in the best interest of Louisiana and approved by the Board, or as mandated from time to time by federal or state government.

Determination of Status

The residence status of an applicant or student is determined in accordance with the State Board regulations and is based upon evidence provided in the application for admission and related documents. Residence status is determined by the Admissions Officer after the completed application for admission has been submitted. Residence status may not be acquired by an applicant or student while residing in Louisiana for the primary purpose of attending school. Resident status, for fee purposes only, will be granted to non-resident graduate students registered for three semester hours or less and undergraduate students registered for six semester hours or less in any session, or all non-resident students enrolled in up to six semester hours of graduate or undergraduate courses offered through web-based or other electronic instruction, when domiciled outside the state of Louisiana, and not enrolled in any other courses at the university.

1. An applicant living with his parents is classified as a resident if the parents have established a bona fide residence in Louisiana. Ordinarily, a parent is considered to have established a residence in Louisiana if he actually resides and is employed full time in the state. A parent who is unable to be employed or who is a housewife may be considered to have established residence in Louisiana if there is convincing evidence that he continuously resides in Louisiana. If only one parent qualifies as a resident of Louisiana, the student shall be classified as a resident provided that the student resides with the parent who is a resident of Louisiana. An individual who resides in Louisiana and is employed full time in another state or full time in Louisiana may be classified as a resident. In such cases, appropriate documentary evidence must be presented.

2. A student residing with his parents who enrolls as a nonresident is classified as a resident if his parents move to Louisiana and acquire residence as defined in these regulations.

3. A student may be declared a resident if either parent is a graduate of Louisiana Tech. A student that graduates with an associate or higher degree may be classified as a resident for subsequent enrollment at that same institution. (Applicable only to U.S. citizens.)

4. A person may be classified as a resident of Louisiana at the end of twelve consecutive months of residence if he has been employed full time in Louisiana, and if during that period he has not been registered at Louisiana Tech University for more than three semester hours or its equivalent in any quarter. (This number of semester hours could be six per semester at other educational institutions in Louisiana.) A person who is unable to be employed and has not been registered in any educational institution for more than six semester hours or its equivalent in any semester (three semester hours at Louisiana Tech University) may acquire residence in Louisiana. The applicant must provide convincing evidence that he or she continuously resided in Louisiana for twelve months immediately preceding registration.

5. A student who is married to a Louisiana resident may acquire the resident status of his or her spouse.

6. A person who resides in Louisiana for at least two years, exclusive of military service, and then moves to another state or foreign country retains the right to enroll as a resident (including dependents) for a period equal to the number of years in Louisiana. The right shall expire upon the person’s residing for a period of two years in another state or foreign country. For students affected by hurricanes Katrina and Rita, requests for waivers may be considered on a case by case basis until Fall 2012.

7. A member of the full-time Armed Forces currently stationed in Louisiana and his dependents shall be classified as Louisiana residents. Service personnel who were stationed in Louisiana immediately prior to their release from active duty may enroll as Louisiana residents (including dependents) during a period not to exceed six months after the date of release provided that their term of active duty shall have been not less than 12 consecutive months.

8. A member of the full-time Armed Forces, excluding National Guard and Armed Forces Reserve Units, who was a resident of Louisiana immediately prior to entering the Armed Forces retains the right for him or any of his dependents to be classified as a resident as long as he is in the Armed Forces and for a two-year period after leaving the Armed Forces.

9. A resident of Louisiana does not lose the right to be classified as a resident during periods of employment in a foreign country.

10. An alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence as an immigrant (proof of such status is his possession of his Form I-151 Alien Registration Receipt Card or passport stamp evidencing temporary Alien Registration Receipt Card) and who has established residence under any of the foregoing provisions shall be declared a resident of Louisiana.

11. Non-U.S. Resident: A student who is a non-U.S. citizen may be entitled to resident classification if the student has been lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (refugee, person who is married to a U.S. citizen, “temporary” or amnesty alien, etc.). This granting of residence status for fee purposes shall be in accordance with all applicable laws of the U.S. and relative requirements of the System’s Student Residence Regulations.

Students and their dependents (INS approval) present in the United Stated under terms of any one of the following visa classifications:

  • E – Treaty trader or investor
  • G – Representative of international organization
  • H-1B – Temporary worker in a specialty occupation (H-1A and H-4 may also apply to qualify for exemption)
  • I – Foreign information media representative
  • K – Fiancee (residency approved with the proof of marriage to U.S. citizen)
  • L – Intra-company transferee/foreign employer

who demonstrate a Louisiana domicile for at least one full year (and meet System Regulations) prior to the first day of class of the beginning of the semester will be eligible for an exemption of the nonresident fees while holding such a visa.


Students holding the following visa classification:

  • Visa Category A – Government officials

will be immediately eligible for an exemption of the nonresident fees while holding such a visa.


Students holding the following visa classification:

  • B – Visitor for business/pleasure
  • C – In transit
  • D – Crewman
  • F – Academic student
  • H – Temporary worker
  • J – Exchange visitor
  • M – Vocational/non-academic student

are not eligible to establish Louisiana domicile nor be exempted for nonresident fees unless otherwise permitted by law, by System policy or other regulations.

It is to be noted that the domicile of a dependent or an unmarried minor is regarded to be that of the parent with whom such a dependent or minor maintains his/her place of abode. 

Appeals Committee

Any student classified as a nonresident may appeal his/her classification to Louisiana Tech University’s Appeals Committee. Appeals forms may be obtained from and submitted to the Admissions Office, Hale Hall (Undergraduates) or Graduate School, Room 1203 Wyly Tower (Graduate students) or downloaded below.

PLEASE NOTE: If an appeal is approved, it will become effective during the quarter in which the appeal is approved. If the appeal is the result of a mid-quarter change in status (example: marriage), the appeal will become effective for the following quarter.

All students classified incorrectly as residents are subject to reclassification and payment of all nonresident fees not paid. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts by the student, the student is also subject to University discipline.


For Undergraduates:

A letter of appeal with supporting documentation should be submitted to

Admissions Office
P.O. Box 3178
Ruston, LA 71272

Click to download and print the Undergraduate Residency Appeals Form.


For Graduate Students:

A letter of appeal with supporting documentation should be submitted to

Graduate School
P.O. Box 7923
Ruston, LA 71272

Click to download and print the Graduate Residency Appeals Form.