Policy 5218 – Purchase of Desktops, Laptops, Netbooks, and Other Smart Devices
Effective Date: 7/26/2010
Responsible Office: Purchasing Officer, Computing Center
To ensure procurement of Desktops, Laptops, Netbooks and other Smart Devices conform to State of Louisiana and Louisiana Tech purchasing regulations and also meet the University’s technical standards for access to University Systems and networks, the following policies and technical requirements are being instituted.
- Departments must purchase “Business/Commercial grade” devices and the University will no longer be permitted to purchase the “home/retail” versions of these devices to connect to University systems and networks.
- In order to conform to the State tagging/Property guidelines for computer purchases, the purchasing card is no longer permitted for computer purchases. Normal requisition guidelines must be followed.
- All desktops, laptops, netbooks or other devices (where applicable) will be required to authenticate via network login and will be required to have McAfee antivirus, Zen patch management, and any other licensed software installed by your designated IT Personnel.
- All computer devices in excess of $1000.00 must have a state issued tag and all computer devices less than $1000.00 must have a University issued tag.
- For portable devices to be taken off-campus, the assigned user of the device must complete the State Property Form (Request for Off-Campus Use) and file the form with the Property office.
The Louisiana Tech Purchasing Office will obtain and make available contracts/bids for approved devices to ensure compliance with State procurement guidelines. The University Computing Center has provided the following technical standards for these devices to safely access our campus systems and networks:
|Windows 7 Pro-32 bit||Windows 7 Pro-32 bit||Windows 7 Starter Edition|
|CPU||Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz||Core 2 Duo 2.53||Intel Atom N270 1.0GB|
|Memory||4 GB DDR3||2 GB DDR2||1 GB DDR2|
|Hard Drive||160 GB||160 GB||80 GB|
|Warranty||5 year Onsite||5 year Onsite||3 year Onsite|
|Required Software||Computrace Complete Preinstalled by vendor||Computrace for Netbooks. (user buys license, Computing Center installs)|
* Approved Apple computer standards are mentioned below.
For the list of approved computer equipment including Apple computers, please visit the Louisiana Tech website: https://www.latech.edu/administration/administration-facilities/purchasing/ and click on the “Computer Contracts” link. Should you wish to have equipment added to the approved list, please send a request and device information to the Director of Purchasing via Campus mail or email.