Policy 2205 – Goals and Requirements of Each Course and Syllabus
Revision Date: 05/01/2015
Last Review: 9/28/2021
Responsible Office: Provost
No later than the close of the quarterly drop and add period, each student must have been provided information as listed below. The information should be electronically posted on the course management (Moodle) site for each course taught. Inform the students of their responsibility to access and use the syllabus (paper copy not required).
The electronic syllabus should provide the following information:
- Student Learning Outcomes and requirements of each course, nature of course content, and methods of evaluation.
- Examination(s), grading events, and other grading requirements.
- Class attendance regulations. (Permanent attendance records must be kept for each class.)
- Accommodations for students with disabilities. An appropriate syllabus statement is “Qualified students needing testing or classroom accommodations based on a disability are encouraged to make their requests to me at the beginning of the quarter either during office hours or by appointment. Note: Prior to receiving disability accommodations, verification of eligibility from the Testing and Disability Services Office is needed. Disability information is confidential. Information for Testing and Disability Services may be obtained in Wyly Tower 318 or https://www.latech.edu/current-students/student-advancement-affairs/disability-services/.” (Refer students who do not present an accommodations memo from the Office of Testing and Disability Services to that office or to https://www.latech.edu/current-students/student-advancement-affairs/disability-services/for assistance.
- Academic Honor Code (https://www.latech.edu/documents/2018/05/honor-code.pdf). An appropriate syllabus statement is “In accordance with the Academic Honor Code, students pledge the following: Being a student of higher standards, I pledge to embody the principles of academic integrity.”
- Faculty office hours and availability for individual counseling. University Policy 2207 describing required advising/counseling office hours and posting requirements can be found at (https://www.latech.edu/administration/policies/p-2207/). Faculty are encouraged to extend, as much as possible, the time available for student conferencing during the final exam period.
- Emergency Notification System (ENS): An appropriate syllabus statement would be “Emergency Notification System: All Louisiana Tech students are strongly encouraged to enroll and update their contact information in the Emergency Notification System. It takes just a few seconds to ensure you’re able to receive important text and voice alerts in the event of a campus emergency. For more information on the Emergency Notification System, please visit https://boss.latech.edu/ia-bin/ens.htm.
- Syllabi for courses taught at the 400 level, which are offered for graduate credit, will identify goals for both undergraduate and graduate students and course requirements for each level of student.
The following procedure is in effect to monitor course syllabi required information:
The Unit Head will verify that the eight (8) items listed above are included on the syllabus for each undergraduate and graduate course. The Unit Head will verify the completeness of syllabi of such courses, particularly noting the distinction of goals for undergraduate and graduate students.
A current copy of each course syllabus will be retained in the Unit Head’s office.